Posts about changes on Roblox that aren’t really related to development should not be allowed

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use DevForum without seeing posts about changes on Roblox (e.g. experiences or change to Discover from Games.) that aren’t that really related to Development.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because I would not see fifty unnecessary threads about the same change in #development-discussion. For example, “What do you think about the recent Library update on Roblox?” post would be allowed because it’s related to development, but not really. DevForum is a place for developers that create experiences in Roblox Studio and posts that refer to the Roblox website shouldn’t be allowed. DevForum is also not a place to discuss such things. There are already hundreds of communities that allow for this kind of discussion.

In my opinion, adding a rule which restricts the discussion about the Roblox site only in #feature-requests:website-features, where experienced forum users give the reason why the change is bad/good, instead of making a valueless discussion especially in #development-discussion.

My main point is that these discussions are almost worthless and not related to Roblox development, yet they’re still allowed because it still relates to development.

Hope you’re doing well.

12 Likes

I think that’s because it’s a second or further degree in relation to development. In other words, it goes indirectly. Another issue is that none of those topics tie well enough to a conclusion of related to development. They’re using primarily an excuse of posting for the sake of posting.

3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on the mountains of “hurr durr these people are giving away crown of os to non devs” threads constantly getting bumped with low quality/no quality replies, again replying for the sake of boosting their post and like count, often while the thread has been rightfully hidden. It’s “hurr durr afk for robux games” all over again.

I doubt anything is going to happen anytime soon though, if they did start taking action against offtopic posts in #development-discussion I’d imagine the userbase of the devforum will get cut in half (although the half that disappears weren’t adding anything of value anyway, much less being actual devs, so I wouldn’t complain)

4 Likes

I have been in constant communication with Roblox Developer Engagement team members who have had to reinstate my post a number of times because people keep flagging it.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/do-not-change-game-terminology-to-experience/1225227/

As per my last conversation with them, it does not violate any rules and they will continue to ensure that it is no longer hidden due to flags.

4 Likes

I don’t mean that your post is bad and you should be punished. I show how many threads about the same thing have been created. As you can also see, this is a feature request.

yea, i didn’t really know what was fully going on at the time

As someone who authored a forum post about game discovery / experience discovery that you linked as an example, ie) you called my post out. If people didn’t know, linking someone’s forum post notifies them.

I’d like to put my perspective: Proper explanations about how important game discovery within Roblox game development is, should not be banned or deleted. It heavily relates to Roblox development because the algorithms that are talked about and tweaked due to developer feedback (when ideas are debated and then taken to the feedback category) directly influences the success rate of developers. Not being able to talk about game algorithms within the developer discussion is just arbitrarily gate-keeping what your idea of development is.

10 Likes

I am not sure how this addresses the wave of spam posts and how does changing names relate to game algorithms?

I decided to remove the links to the posts because they caused too much controversy. I didn’t intend to call other users out but show the amount of created topics about a small change on the website. I also want to say thank you for sharing your opinions about this feature request. In the end, we are one big family that should work together. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks!