Primary part of R6 characters: the Head or the HumanoidRootPart?

I was about to make a bug report because the primary part is set to the Head instead of the HRP. Happens in studio & online and only with R6.
I then found the same report made by someone a few years prior.

I always assumed the root part was the primary part, and so I’ve always used the PrimaryPart property to get the HRP.
So what I’m really asking is:
Have I really been doing this wrong for years???

1 Like

Discovered this myself recently - I’d always assumed the PrimaryPart for R6 was the HumanoidRootPart too. Now-a-days, I manually set the PrimaryPart of R6 characters to the HumanoidRootPart as this works best for me. So far I haven’t encountered any unexpected behavior.

4 Likes

R6 was the default style of avatars before the inception of R15. HumanoidRootParts did not always exist in R6 avatars, they were a fairly new addition. R15 characters started with those. The Head has always intended to be the PrimaryPart of an R6 avatar. This is not a bug, it’s a feature.

If you want this changed, please post a topic in Platform Feedback or follow the process to do so if you are a New Member.

In general, you should not be relying on the PrimaryPart of a character model and assume that it is the root part. Not only can the PrimaryPart be different as observed within this thread, but PrimaryPart can also be nil. You should always check if the HumanoidRootPart exists before acting, rather than assuming PrimaryPart is set and non-nil.

6 Likes