Project Ideas for Beginner?

I’m a beginner scripter! I’ve been scripting a lot for about a few weeks, with previous knowledge in other programming languages. I feel like I’m alright within RLUA.

Any project ideas, just so I can have fun, learn, or just practice?
Thanks, all feedback will be noted!

8 Likes

Although I’m not sure how familiar you are with Roblox Studio, considering you’ve been diving in for a few weeks and have some prior experience, here’s what I would suggest:

• Take inspiration from things that interest you and try your best to use your current knowledge to create something related to it.

• Create something that doesn’t seem too difficult for your current skill level.

• At your own pace, include new elements of game development that you haven’t experimented with yet so you’re always learning more.

Relying on your desire to improve your development skills alone doesn’t always go far (that varies from person to person). By working on a project that incorporates one of your interests / hobbies, you’ll have a greater chance at progressing further into the project despite any difficulties you encounter.

I don’t really have any direct suggestions since I feel as if there’s quite a broad range of ideas that could be chosen from, especially with the differences in learning preferences and workflow. What I have presented above could be utilized as a method to narrow down anything you might have in mind already.

Along with that, here are some useful resources I’d recommend:

Useful Resources

Original Post

(This was the original post I made on May 14th, 2020. I rewrote this on February 9th, 2023 because the way I phrased everything was not super easy to understand lol).
Just since this is relevant, here’s something I brought up around 2 hours ago in another post:

I’m not entirely sure how far you have familiarized yourself with ROBLOX Studio, but considering you’ve been diving in for a few weeks and have some prior experience, I would suggest taking inspiration from things that interest you and try your best to use your current knowledge to create something related to it. That way, even if you end up going through some rough patches of debugging and etc., you’ll have a greater chance at pushing through with the project and continuing to learn more from it since there would be an alternative form of motivation rather than solely based off of your desire to improve your development skills.

I don’t really have any direct suggestions since I feel as if there’s quite a broad range of ideas that could be chosen from, especially with the differences in learning and preferred workflow that vary from person to person. What I have presented above could be utilized as a method to narrow down anything you might have in mind already.

5 Likes

Probably try making a GUI system for practice? Or, you could make an exhibition of blocks with unique things, like kill parts, etc.

2 Likes

I am much more advanced than that.

2 Likes

Interesting philosophy, thank you!

I’ve been using roblox and roblox studio since 2011, I just started programming a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

Maybe try something like make a Coffee machine.

I would just like to say I am not much of a Scripter but I think a Coffee machine would be pretty cool to make and maybe a little challenge. :smiley:

2 Likes

I never thought of that. I think it’d be fairly easy. We’ll see!

Yeah I own a Cafe myself but I can’t script I have someone I think can.

1 Like

For sure, if you need anything, I’ll be glad to help just to get experience!

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, maybe in the future!

1 Like

Play around with physics and the math in it.

I’ve been doing this for weeks, and it’s actually very interesting. In the process I got to learn Vector Cross and Dot product (which I had no idea was applicable in making games) , quaternion rotations and classes, terrain generation, making my own camera scripts, making my own humanoids and physics behaviour, getting better in using rays, and much more! It even increases your workflow naturally. To be honest, I think I’mma reach the advanced field sooner than I thought.

Ngl, it kinda makes math fun.

9 Likes

Any where I can check up on math? Because I’m a sophomore, failed my Math 2 class first semester. I’m not the best at math.

Where am I able to learn well in this math journey?

2 Likes

Relatable!!! Still struggling with maths, but hopefully focusing can do it. You can do it too!

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate it!
(30 deep)

3Blue1Brown, a youtuber I deeply respect. His videos are extremely knowledgeable when you put your concentration in it.
Give linear algebra a try, in his series essence of linear algebra, he explains the concepts so perfectly.
You may also consider taking a look at some calc (if you’re interested in non-linear interpolations).

When you get a good grasp of core ‘game dev’ math concepts, try taking a look at @EgoMoose 's articles (topics) which are written or watch his youtube channel which has pretty epic vids.

One of the topics I found interesting are Inverse Kinematics and Procedural Animation which go pretty well together. You may find them difficult, but after some struggle, they turn in to elementary math.

Things you can make with this knowledge include skateboards, basketball games, turrets (with also other advanced features), character controllers, basically anything!

(Sorry had to postpone this reply cuz my net was acting up)

PS; I’m also bad at math lol, learning math in school served no purpose as teachers teach without application in mind. However, if you learn with a purpose and want to apply that somewhere, it becomes so understandable both in developing and in school.

Good luck!

13 Likes