Proximity Chat / Local Chat + Shouts?

Hello! For the past few years I’ve been working (on and off) on an open-world Warrior Cats themed Roblox game where you can make your own groups, rules, etc. I had a lot of features planned but there’s one really simple one that I’ve been struggling to find any information on.
The game is built to host up to 500 people per server (which will likely be bumped down depending on how much lag it causes, i’m sure most of you think this a bad idea). The problem with hundreds of players is… chat lag.
I’m not entirely sure how to resolve chat lag, but I have seen in other games try a sort of ‘local chat’ type thing. Where it only shows chats from people nearby. This game also had a “shout” feature, where people could make public chats (in my game these would be group/clan advertisements, meetups, etc.).
There are a couple features I’m attempting to pull off.
→ Local chat, only able to speak to a few people closeby.
→ A specific channel or area dedicated to shouts/public chats (with cooldowns).
I was wondering if there were any other threads on this forum around this subject (i’ve searched to the best of my ability and have yet to find them), and if there are any resources or tips for pulling this feature off. Thank you in advance!

I can help with 1/2 of your issue, I can help with the “Local Chat” part of this.

Steps:

1. Open up a new base plate or a game.
  2. Play the game inside of studio.
  3. Go to the “Chat” folder.
  4. Go to the file named “Bubble Chat”.
  5. Change: local MAX_BUBBLE_DISTANCE = 100 to whatever distance you want it to be!
  6. Stop running the game.

If you have any questions fell free to send me a Private Message.
Furthermore, if you are still confused you can check out this post:

I’m not too sure what you mean about a public channel so send me so information and I’ll see if I can help.

1 Like

This is really helpful, thank you! I had avoided that post because I heard that it wasn’t working anymore- but if it’s still running fine it’s good enough, tysm!

Plus, by “public channel” I was referring to how on other games they have three channels: normal chat, system, and team chat. I was just wondering if it was possible to add another channel dedicated to server shouts and such, and if I could add cooldowns. It was just an idea that could easily be resolved by messing around with one of my admin scripts. Thanks again for the help!