Question about instancing

So I recently learned about instancing and using it to maximize game performance and my question basically is.

So I made a couple models that can be used a lot it different situations so cutting straight to the question,
Can I resize the models and it’ll still count as instancing? Or does resizing cause it to be seen as a complete different mesh?

Sorry if my question is confusing, i’m just now learning about this. I saw the RDC video that Shaun made and I didn’t hear anything about if resizing would basically make it not instancing… Thank you!

2 Likes

I am not absolutely sure on this, but changing these properties shouldn’t cause an issue:

(source: Part Instancing - pre-release announcement -2018 (stuff has probably changed since then) )

It really depends on what format your models are in (eg. grouped parts, a mesh, a special mesh, or something else) and how many of the models you will use.

If you resize the object with keeping the same aspect ratio then you should be fine but don’t take my word on it. Run tests, put like 2^16 copies of the model in an empty game with no baseplate and see how it performs when playing it on the Roblox client not the studio client. (thats how I usually do it, kind of a bruteforce method but it hasn’t failed me yet.)

Take notes on load time, frame render times (shift + f5), and you can take a look at the micro profiler to see what’s taking up frame time and adjust the model accordingly.

I hope this helped, good luck with whatever you are doing.

2 Likes