Question about viewport frame efficiency

just about everyone ive seen says viewports should be avoided like a curse unless your game idea explicitly requires their functionality but I want to get a more specific grasp on their limit and impact on lower end PCs

Obviously having a hundred viewports would be bad but I want to know if say a hundred moving parts would be too much for a SINGLE viewport frame
Id test myself and probably will regardless but I want to hear from others

Tried it my self on a low end Laptop. Single view ports are not bad. The problem is if you’re cloning too many items. Moving parts, I don’t really know if there is a different between inside view port frames and outside.

If I may hijack the thread, I was wondering about using viewport frames for shop UI and so… Multiple viewport frames with static cameras pointing at the shop items somewhere on the map. How would that affect the performance? Is it even worth it or should I just stop being lazy and screenshot the items to put static images in the store.

i think Arsenal uses viewports to render all the characters you own in your inventory, and since performance is good on my computer, I would assume it’d be fine. However, I do see people saying that using viewports for displaying items causes problems: ViewportFrame performance issues for displaying items

So I guess the performance depends on how you implemented it.

1 Like