R-OS (Roblox Operating System) {CANCELED PROJECT!}

3/1/2024

THIS PROJECT IS CANCELED!

• What is R-OS?
    R-OS is short for (Roblox Operating System)
    It is like the name suggests, its an operating system that’s made in Roblox studio and Lua

It will have it’s own wallpapers, programs and soon, R-Web and User Built Programs

FAQ:

• This Idea is dumb, why are you making this?
    Because im bored and because i want to prove that YOU can make an operating system with roblox and Lua

• How are Users going to make User Built Programs
    Simple, by making a new programming language (Ro)
    I dont know how its gonna work or how its gonna look but i might be able to make it, that same programming language will be used for R-Web

More Questions can be asked by posting a comment
i better start working now, goodbye

3/1/2024

THIS PROJECT IS CANCELED!

15 Likes

Are you talking about an entire operating system that simulates low level interactions and can act like a kernel, or just something like a desktop environment?

Why not just use loadstring with setfenv? Both are considered bad practice, yes, but with setfenv you can make sure loadstring won’t interfere with other code and it’s far better than interpreting code in an interpreted language. Even if you’re going to compile it into Luau (and then use loadstring), why would you make a new programming language instead of using Luau itself?

2 Likes

First up, it wont be a entire working OS, it can only see the weather and check out User-Made Websites and all that stuff, So most of Lua’s code wont work because the programs and the R-Web Pages is GUIs and that would make almost all of Lua’s code useless, so putting Lua in a limited computer would make it a useless programming language.

Plus most people who are gonna play that doesn’t know how to use Lua, so making a new programming language that is easy, and understandable, will be great for the players

Your idea is great and all, but the Lua scripting language is both hard, and most of the code will be useless

Also it might not even be a programming language, it might be an program that is able to make programs easy to make, I don’t know because I started it yesterday

3 Likes

Bumping this topic because I feel like I want to give a thorough reply to this post. I agree with cnr about using Lua as the programming language the users will be able to write in. I don’t agree that most lua code would be useless, as you have the ability to modify and change a function’s sandbox using setfenv, and you could design your own globals from scratch. If you were to make a programming language of your own, it will be a lot harder to maintain because you’d have to have a decent sandbox, and you’d also have to make sure the language runs fast. If you were to transpile your code into lua at runtime, it would just completely eliminate the purpose for using a custom language in the first place, as the converted code would still have to be sandboxed anyways. I don’t disagree that you shouldn’t make your own language for this project, as long as it can offer far more flexibility than lua can, in a simpler way.

Good luck on this project! Btw, if you need help with understand how to create a programming language and/or sandboxing, I have some experience with doing so. Although I’m fairly busy, so I may not get back in a reasonable amount of time.

Actually, instead of making a coding language, I think adding an SDK Built into the OS will be much better, for many reasons.

1 Like

Very interesting! I would love to see where you go in development.

2 Likes

You can go ahead and check out the page, now No you cannot play the game yet, but soon, i will make the game public once it becomes usable and works as intended

1 Like

I got a lot of things to do in a few months, so, for the r-os project, im gonna take a break and i will come back to it in like a month or 2, while you wait, you can ask questions on this devforum and i will answer it!

3 Likes

Are you still working on this?

1 Like

No.
The project has been canceled a year ago.

1 Like

Did you ever get to building a scripting language in it?

1 Like

None, the script was scrapped since the beginning.

1 Like