Random avatar chooser doesnt work correctly

I am attempting to make a script that will either change your avatar to something specific if your userid matches, or if your userid does not match it will choose between 3 different avatars. It changes your avatar by pasting one of the avatars into the StarterCharecter. It doesnt work as it will either put everyone in the special avatar, or put everyone in the randomly chosen avatars. Anyone have any idea whats going on? All responses are appreciated.

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

while wait(0.5) do

for i, v in pairs(Players:GetPlayers()) do
	if v.UserId == 847431372 then
		print("working")-- code here
		game.StarterPlayer:FindFirstChild("StarterCharacter"):Destroy()
		game.StarterPlayer.Characters.Special.StarterCharacter:Clone().Parent = game.StarterPlayer
		print("Special Select")
else

local CharRound = math.random(1,3)

if CharRound == 1 then
		game.StarterPlayer.Characters.One.StarterCharacter:Clone().Parent = game.StarterPlayer
		print("One Select")

elseif CharRound == 2 then
			game.StarterPlayer.Characters.Two.StarterCharacter:Clone().Parent = game.StarterPlayer
		print("Two Select")

elseif CharRound == 3 then
		game.StarterPlayer.Characters.Three.StarterCharacter:Clone().Parent = game.StarterPlayer
		print("Three Select")
		end
	end
end
end
1 Like

You should probably use a different method of changing someone’s avatar, I think it’s a problem with the method that you use to change avatars.

2 Likes

Your problem is that the model in starter characters is used for all of the players.

Your code basically checks if a player is in game every 0.5 seconds and if they are it makes all new characters the special character.

You should use a different way to change the character.

This thread has some information on that:

2 Likes

Okay thx, ill rewrite the code. Thx for the time.

1 Like

I would also highly recommend that you make a table with all the starterCharacters like so:

local allStarterCharacter = {character1,character2,character3} -- You put all your playermodels in a table using {}
local pick = math.random(1,#allStarterCharacter ) -- By adding # behind a table, it gives you the amount of values it has (3 in this case)
local clone = allStarterCharacter[pick]:Clone() -- By doing this, you are asking for the random model defined with *pick* and you are cloning it. You can now do anything you want with it!
2 Likes

Okay i should of specified, though I dont know if you took this in account. This is supposed to be random on spawn, so when you load in the game its a new character. I cant really figure out the, disabling CharecterAutoLoads, system. And I cant really find anything good on it as its all for menus. Do you have anything else that might help?

1 Like

Inside of StarterPlayer

1 Like

Yeah I found that, I just dont know how to apply really any of this. Yes I can disable it, but I dont know what to do. Are there any articles or posts that can help me?

You can clone the model of the character you want from the script I sent you earlier, and then set the players character to it (player.Character = model)
Otherwise I would highly consider you checkout HumanoidDescription: HumanoidDescription | Roblox Creator Documentation

2 Likes

Hmm alright. Ill try this out, thank you.

1 Like

The docs have a code example:

https://create.roblox.com/docs/reference/engine/classes/Players#CharacterAutoLoads

-- Set CharacterAutoLoads to false
Players.CharacterAutoLoads = false

-- Remove player's character from workspace on death
Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	while true do
		local char = player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
		char.Humanoid.Died:Connect(function()
			char:Destroy()
		end)
	end
end)

-- Respawn all dead players once every 10 seconds
while true do
	local players = Players:GetChildren()

-- Check if each player is dead by checking if they have no character, if dead load that player's character
	for _, player in pairs(players) do
		if not workspace:FindFirstChild(player.Name) then
			player:LoadCharacter()
		end
	end

-- Wait 10 seconds until next respawn check
	task.wait(10)
end

But instead of calling load player clone your custom player (or random character) and set Player.Character to the new character.

Edit:
Actually don’t use that code. I swear the docs had actually useful code before the update. You should:

• Create a respawn function that uses setting the Player.Character
  • Call the function when the player joins
  • Inside the respawn function create a died connection for the new character and respawn the character after X amount of time
1 Like

Okay, im just getting confused. I wish I had more time scripting because hopefully I would know what im doing. Using alot of all of your advices I hobbled some code together, but honestly I dont really know how I would get it to work. Alot of errors and stuff not really making sense to me. Here it is.

local allStarterCharacter = {workspace.StarterCharacter1,workspace.StarterCharacter2,workspace.StarterCharacter3.StarterCharacterSP} -- You put all your playermodels in a table using {}
local pick = math.random(1,#allStarterCharacter ) -- By adding # behind a table, it gives you the amount of values it has (3 in this case)
local clone = allStarterCharacter[pick]:Clone()

Players.PlayerAdded:Wait()

for i, v in pairs(Players:GetPlayers()) do
	if v.UserId == 847431372 then
		pick then clone
	else

end
end

Its not complete as im pretty stumped.

Something like this is what I was thinking:

local RESPAWN_TIME = 5

local Workspace = game:GetService("Workspace")

Players.CharacterAutoLoads = false

local function pickCharacter(player)
    -- TODO: This function should return the character model for the player
end

local function loadCharacter(player)
    local oldCharacter = player.Character
    if oldCharacter then
        oldCharacter:Destroy()
    end

local newCharacter = pickCharacter(player):Clone()
    -- There should be a humanoid in each character
    local humanoid = newCharacter:WaitForChild("Humanoid")

-- TODO: position the character here (or maybe after the character is added to workspace, I'm not sure with the physics constraints. Maybe try this then the other.)

local connections = {}

-- Respawn after the humanoid dies
    local diedConnection = humanoid.Died:Connect(function()
        for _, connection in ipairs(connections) do
            connection:Disconnect()
        end
        connections = nil

task.wait(RESPAWN_TIME)
        loadCharacter(player)
    end

-- Respawn if the humanoid is destroyed
    local ancestryChangedConnection = humanoid.AncestryChanged:Connect(function()
        for _, connection in ipairs(connections) do
            connection:Disconnect()
        end
        connections = nil

if not humanoid:IsDescendantOf(Workspace) then
            task.wait(RESPAWN_TIME)
            loadCharacter(player)
        end
    end

table.insert(connections, diedConnection)
    table.insert(connections, ancestryChangedConnection)

player.Character = newCharacter
    newCharacter.Parent = Workspace
end

local function onPlayerAdded(player)
    loadCharacter(player)
end

Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(onPlayerAdded)

Wow thats alot of code. Im going to try this, thanks for writing this.

1 Like

Okay I tested it out and noticed a few things. First there are some errors, and also I dont know where the code would get the charecter models. Thank you so much for all the time you spent, but I think im going to revert back and figure something else out, as before I implemented the character exception thing it worked fine.

2 Likes