Random meshes go invisible both online and in studio

Seemingly random meshes are going invisible every time I test my game in studio or play it online.

A couple things I’ve noticed:

• It seems to be getting worse the more assets are added to the game (doesn’t have to be meshes).
  • It’s seemingly fixed by setting the transparency of the object to 1 and then back to whatever it was.
  • Doing the above on a part inside a model also fixes it for other parts in the model that may have gone invisible.
  • Meshes with the same asset id might have one invisible while the other is fully visible.
  • Changing graphics level does not seem to help.

Here’s a place where it happens almost every time:

I’m running studio version 0.285.0.114548, but this also happens in an actual game server.

It’s likely caused by too many triangles. I had the same issue at my Kinetic Code pre-order place where we displayed a ton of high quality models all at once.

We fixed it by removing some unions/meshes.

The place has at most 1m triangles in any direction you can look, I’ve also had a previous game with a higher count that had no issues like this. That game used less meshes, though. I can’t really remove any of it either since it’s just due to the map being very large :confused:

I’m thinking it has to be some sort of loading issue, and hopefully it can be fixed.

AFAIK 4gb of ram can barely handle a few million tris, and that’s not counting other ram usage.
A custom LOD system, or optimizing unions in blender may help with the issue.

RAM usage in task manager says about 550mb of RAM for Roblox, and the GPU is using about 800mb of VRAM according to MSI Afterburner on highest graphics level, at lower graphics it takes less VRAM but same amount of RAM. Still getting the invisible meshes though. Memory being the issue does not seem very likely atm.

I tried making a custom LOD system, that solved the problem because it kept changing the transparency of the parts. Can’t do that though unfortunately, because it messes with lighting calculations and makes performance super bad. :frowning:

Ram isn’t really related to tris. You might have a tree mesh loaded into memory but render it 1000 times.

1 Like

Seems fixed now, might have been related to this:

Yay!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.