Raycast Graphics Engine

I got a little bored when making stuff on roblox. So I made a totally impractical Raycast Rendering Engine! Anyways what y’all think about this? (This wasn’t made using any viewpoint frames)

21 Likes

thats the coolest thing i’ve seen made on roblox in awhile.

Are you able to maybe share the code? I am really interested in seeing how it works.

4 Likes

That looks really cool! But It is quite laggy dont you think?

4 Likes

Now THAT is really cool.

I’ve seen this type of project many times, but barely have I ever seen one in Roblox. Great job mate, that’s amazing.

4 Likes

As I said before, impractical, but I can limit the lines on screen and the FPS

3 Likes

Oh, sorry I didn’t read what you said that “impractical”

3 Likes

I can only think of one thing…

5 Likes

Assuming your using roblox raycasting, you could probably get significantly better speed using a grid based method while sacrificing map complexity. Also, I hope your using boatbomber’s GreedyCanvas for drawing those pixels. I don’t see a fisheye effect and the sprites and textures work nice, so pretty good overall!

2 Likes

I suggest using EditableImage for drawing pixels.
EditableImage - Roblox API Reference

1 Like

Doom would be too complex for a Raycast Engine, the best you could do is a wolfenstien clone, should I make one?

1 Like

I actually never seen this. What is it? A really old feature?

1 Like

I actually don’t draw the pixels instead there’s like a array of frames which size to give the illusion of 3d and the texture are just Image labels inside the frame whose X size is bigger than the Frame itself and It’s Y size is reletive to the distance of the Raycast. and the image labels get offset to only show one part of the textures and place more of these side by side you kinda get a textured wall. I know this is not the best solution but it works.

2 Likes

Is editable image a thing? like you can create the object using code, but it doesnt exist in any of the dropdown menus… oh and now the page doesnt exist

oh well the website is down now idk why although it’s job is to track the Roblox Api.

Anyway EditableImage is a thing but to use it you will have to install Roblox studio mod manager edit the flag: EditableImageEnabled and set it to Enabled.

After that all you need to do is to create an instance of it: Instance.new(“EditableImage”)

Note: it is confirmed by roblox that it is going to release in the roadmap:Roblox Creator Roadmap
under Create rich and lifelike worlds:

• Mesh & Texture APIs - First step in a new era of creation where developers have direct access to meshes and textures in Lua. (Late 2023)

it was also confirmed by Roblox staff:Creator Roadmap - AMA with Nick and Tian [Oct 4, 2023] - #18 by ObviouslyGreen

Another note: it was previously named DynamicImage

1 Like

It doesnt work at all, maybe im doing something wrong?

Oh, i forgot you have to parent the EditableImage like this:

ScreenGui < ImageLabel < EditableImage