Raycast Hitbox 4.01: For all your melee needs!

Use the RaycastParams. This is from the github:

local Params = RaycastParams.new()
Params.FilterDescendantsInstances = {MyCharacter} --- remember to define our character!
Params.FilterType = Enum.RaycastFilterType.Blacklist

-- We will construct a new hitbox for our sword
local newHitbox = RaycastHitbox.new(Sword)
newHitbox.RaycastParams = Params --- Define our RaycastParams

--- The raycasts will no longer damage your character or any objects you put in the ignore list!
1 Like

Hi, I’m new to the development. Do you think it will be possible to do something like this with your module ?:

This module only provides and detects the most baseline hit detection. So yes. But does not help you create those effects. Those will be up to you.

1 Like

Do you know what will help me do this??

and I meant the effect of having parts appear with the same material as the ground

I did the same post and the guy recommended you to me: How to do raycasting!

What you can do is just get the color of the instance such as; Raycast.Instance.Color

And : Raycast.Instance.Material?

Yes you are correct but it would have to need the material and color.

Is it working for you? Because it doesn’t seem to be working for me

local RaycastHitbox = require(workspace.RaycastHitboxV4)
local punch = script.Parent.Handle:FindFirstChild("Punch")
local swing = script.Parent.Handle:FindFirstChild("Swing")
local Damage = 10
local tool = script.Parent
local Hitbox = RaycastHitbox.new(tool)
wait()
local Character = tool.Parent
debounce = false

Params.FilterDescendantsInstances = {Character}

Hitbox.RaycastParams = Params

Hitbox.OnHit:Connect(function(hit, humanoid)
	print(hit.Name)

humanoid:TakeDamage(Damage)
	punch:Play()
end)

function onActivated()
	if debounce == false then
		debounce = true
		Hitbox:HitStart()
		swing:Play() 
		wait(1)
		Hitbox:HitStop() 
		debounce = false
	end
end

script.Parent.Activated:Connect(onActivated)

Even then, I can still hurt myself.

local Character = tool.Parent

You need to define this variable when equipping, not at the top of the script since tools start in backpacks. Do a

print(Character)

to see what I mean. It will return the backpack instead of the actual character.

Example:

local Character

script.Parent.Equipped:Connect(function()
     --- The tool has been parented to the character once equipped, so this is valid now
     Character = tool.Parent

--- Set our params
     Params.FilterDescendantsInstances = {Character}

Hitbox.RaycastParams = Params
end)
1 Like

Before you replied I seemed to have fixed the issue myself, I just had to initialize certain variables on equip, thanks tho!

1 Like

How do you disable the red lines??? It is not working for me. This is my code:

local c = Player.Character
	local Hitbox = RaycastingModule:Initialize(script.Parent, {c})
	Hitbox.Visualizer = false
	Sword.Activated:Connect(function()
		Hitbox:HitStart()
		wait(1)
		Hitbox:HitStop()
	end)
	if Action == "Slash1" then

Hitbox.OnHit:Connect(function(hit, humanoid)

print(hit)
			humanoid:TakeDamage(50)
			Event:FireAllClients("1", hit)

end)
	end

ignore the spacing lol

1 Like

Update to V4 and follow the new syntax guidelines outlined in the main post. You are using old V3 methods.

2 Likes

I was using this module ​in order to make a fake arm that’s being tweened capable of dealing damage. I used the SetPoints method in order to set the points that I want the rays to cast from and this is what ended up happening:
https://gyazo.com/b243cda699601754b0e031379588d267

I originally thought that I made a mistake when setting the location of the points then I instanced some parts at those positions and I got this which is what I wanted.

https://gyazo.com/b937f6056ae72c9c011318465bc1e3f8

I’m assuming this problem is to do with the Arms position and size being tweened but I can’t figure out why it’s happening. What I wanted to happen was for the arm to tween in the forward direction and and the rays to move in the same direction as the arm.

My code is pretty much the same as the intermediate examples on the wiki apart from the following lines

local pointsTable = {Arm.CFrame:PointToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(0,0,-Arm.Size.Z/2)),Arm.CFrame:PointToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(0,Arm.Size.Y/2,-Arm.Size.Z/2)),Arm.CFrame:PointToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(0,-Arm.Size.Y/2,-Arm.Size.Z/2)),Arm.CFrame:PointToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(Arm.Size.X/2,0,-Arm.Size.Z/2)),Arm.CFrame:PointToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(-Arm.Size.X/2,0,-Arm.Size.Z/2))}
newHitbox:SetPoints(Arm, pointsTable)

local goal = {}
goal.Size = Arm.Size + Vector3.new(0,0,80)
goal.Position = Arm.CFrame:PointToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(0,0,-40))
local tweenInfo = TweenInfo.new(0.15,Enum.EasingStyle.Linear,Enum.EasingDirection.In,0,true)
local tween = TweenService:Create(Arm, tweenInfo, goal)
tween:Play()

Thanks for the help in advance

The module will automatically convert the points you give it to it’s object space, so you probably don’t need to use :PointtoWorldSpace. It should work by just using Vectors only.

Example:

local pointsTable = {Vector3.new(0,0,-Arm.Size.Z/2), Vector3.new(0,Arm.Size.Y/2,-Arm.Size.Z/2), Vector3.new(0,-Arm.Size.Y/2,-Arm.Size.Z/2), Vector3.new(Arm.Size.X/2,0,-Arm.Size.Z/2), Vector3.new(-Arm.Size.X/2,0,-Arm.Size.Z/2)}

Let me know if it still doesn’t solve your issue.

Worked perfectly thanks for the help :+1:

1 Like

So exited to be finding this module at the perfect time. I’m creating a combat system and this is exactly what I needed. Kudos!

Changing the mode from Default to PartMode doesnt work
( well it changed just doesnt register), is it because part mode used hit instead of the humanoid part?

RaycastModule always returns the part that it hit, irrespective if they have a humanoid root part or not. PartMode should return the parts hit, but will not return parts it has already hit. What is your code that doesn’t work?