RBLXPackage | ROBLOX Package Manager

Before I have to state it again, there is a difference between most of the package managers released. Most are for ROJO or are NPM styled while mine is more like a Linux package manager like zypper.

RBLXPackage is a package manager that can help install libraries or game engines. It is starting out with a small list of packages in the official repo. How a package in the repository stays up to date after being inserted is up to the creator of the package.
HOW TO USE
In the plugin menu there is a “Toggle visibility” button for the plugin, you press that to toggle whether the GUI is visible. You enter the package name in the textbox that appears then you press the install package button that appears next to the box to install the package
HOW IT WORKS
RBLXPackage has a module script with all of the current packages. The package versions are not dependent on the module script. The repo updates when the plugin is first loaded since ROBLOX caches the module script. The repo contains a table per package, the table includes the asset to insert, and the folder to search for the assets. The folder that is searched is the top level folder which the name varies (which is why I have that variable in the repo). In the top level folder, there is a folder named “game.” that folder can contain names of the different folders of your game (workspace, lighting, serverstorage, etc.). If a folder in that main “game” folder matches a real place like Workspace it will drop the contents in that folder. A package folder with the structure of “examplepackage_root.game.ServerScriptService.Test” will have the script “Test” dropped in ServerScriptService since game.ServerScriptService exists in your game. The “test” script has to keep itself up-to-date since of how ludicrous creating an update function would be since you can move and rename scripts so an update function would just duplicate the package so there would be both an outdated and up-to-date package.

HOW DO I GET MY PACKAGE ADDED?
If you message me on the developer forum or comment on this post and provide a properly structured model then I can add the package to my repo with a package name provided. If you need help structuring the package you can look at the package for an old anti-speedhack I made, remember to include an auto-updater in the package (like making the package a way to start an auto-updated module).

WHERE CAN I FIND THE SOURCE TO CHECK FOR VIRUSES?
Despite being a plugin, you can still view the source like a model! To get the source, type this in the command bar

game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(8019158893).Parent = game.Workspace

The repo is available as a module here.

Current package available in the repo as of 11/16/21 at 6:10 PM

antidisplayname
tnametag
antispeedhack

2 Likes

yeah but wally exists

What’s a “Wally” exactly? I have never heard of it.

Countless package managers already exist with more features, what does yours have to offer that they all do not?

Examples:

3 Likes

rBundle is centered around GitHub repos which are annoying to work with. StudioCLI package manager seems more like NPM which is only useful for specific things. With RBLXPackage you could install an entire old Roblox kit or have a package be the entire doomspire brickbattle added to your game which is useful for some things like agree to use assets or kits that expect some things in certain places (which is the reason why tNametag v1 and v2 had dedicated installer plugins).

…isn’t that what the toolbox is for?

do we really need yet another roblox package manager?

4 Likes

This is different. This is a Roblox plugin designed to be used with Roblox studio and not Rojo. This package manager allows for easily applying templates or kits to Roblox games without visual studio code. You also ignored what I said about StudioCLI and rBundle which is shown by you linking them despite me already stating the difference.

Can you elaborate? I have already developed StudioCLI’s package manager with the capability to do exactly as you have said.

As it states on your page:

Which is how NPM works and not how mine works. It may be global in terms of where you have it and not in a specific directory, mine is more like how a Linux package manager functions.

Can you explain how this compares to the toolbox?

You mentioned you can include the whole doomspire brickbattle as a package. The same way you can upload doomspire brickbattle to the toolbox.

Most package managers are used by pros and teams who use advanced tools like VSCode and Github. So not sure what the whole “github repos are hard to work with” is about.

I don’t really understand the use cases of this and the benefits of this over the toolbox.

Most kits and stuff are bundled in a way that requires you to manually move each thing to the correct location. This package manager is for people who don’t like rojo and want something that can install a kit without rojo and with the benefits of a Linux like package manager since it will put scripts and other items in the correct locations. There are NPM like package managers but those are more geared towards modules instead of having kits and other things being able to be added without having to manually move the scripts or GUIs and find the original version that isn’t a virus ridden copy like in the toolbox. Let’s say I had a dynamic lighting effects package, RBLXPackage will automatically move the stuff that needs to go in game.Lighting, game.ReplicatedStorage, and game.ServerScriptService to the correct locations without needing them to be moved manually or having to find a virus ridden copy.

1 Like

GitHub isn’t the best thing to play around with. GitHub is worse that alternatives that are open source like GitLab.

I see. So this is a somewhat extension of the toolbox in the sense that there are multiple install locations for a single package?

1 Like