RE: How to replicate a map (via server) that has roblox terrain and regular parts

This is a continuation post since my game-design category one did not get a good answer however I at least figured out how to generate maps manually

I’ve seen a game do this (traitor town), degenerating and generating maps after so many rounds, so I’m wondering if anyone here can shed some light

You could try using Terrain | Roblox Creator Documentation and Terrain | Roblox Creator Documentation for removing/loading the smooth terrain and then using a separate method for collecting parts in the map (maybe just have separate folders with all the parts in it and reparent each folder). This is a code sample from the Terrain:CopyRegion page:

local terrainRegion = workspace.Terrain:CopyRegion(workspace.Terrain.MaxExtents)
workspace.Terrain:Clear()
wait(5)
workspace.Terrain:PasteRegion(terrainRegion, workspace.Terrain.MaxExtents.Min, true)

Alternatively you could try procedurally generating your terrain. This is how Minecraft creates maps that can always be loaded the same from a seed. It can be confusing and I’m probably not the best person to explain it, so I’ll just provide you with some resources and tutorials about it.

This tutorial is not centered around procedural generation but instead just scripting terrain in general.

1 Like

Thank you, led me to the solution which is a simple line of code:

workspace.Terrain:PasteRegion(game.ServerStorage.YOURMAP, workspace.Terrain.MaxExtents.Min, true)

this will load a saved terrain object and then I can easily just clone the map model