Recruitment category - Development positions only

One thing I have been noticing more and more recently is people are using #collaboration:recruitment in order to hire role play positions, such as: moderators, staff leaders, workers etc (excluding stuff like player support / social media manager which are). for their role in groups such as cafes, hotels etc.

while this is recruitment I find it really goes against the point of this being a developer forum and therefor should not be allowed in this category nor anywhere else on the forum.

Now my perspective could be bias since im generally against any involvement with role play groups, however your input would be appreciated in the poll below.

Just to clarify I feel hiring community managers etc. for development studios is fine

• I think it’s acceptable
  • I think it’s not acceptable
  • Other (say in replies)

0 voters

thank you for your input!

1 Like

Would you consider things like Adopt Me hiring a social media manager or player support representatives as development related?

You don’t have to use studio to be involved in development. I feel like this would be a slippery slope and require hard judgement calls on what being a developer is; and many of the community might not like that.

3 Likes

Heya, I was ending my post to include my no objection to community managers for development studios when you released this post! I hope I cleared things up.

My question to you is, would you consider a role play chef, or role play staff trainer a developer?

I wouldn’t consider roleplay positions appropriate for the forum at all, and a blatant misuse of the category.

By the definition of the category, it is only for hiring people for your studio or team; not hiring people for your roleplay group.

Apologies if I misunderstood the message of your topic.

5 Likes

At first, I disagreed strongly. Moderators, staff leaders, etc, can be important to a game’s development. Moderators enforces Roblox’s Terms of Services in game, which in general I think is decent enough to be allowed onto the forums.

Now, if you’re talking about roleplay bakers (or anything of the sort), then yes, that should be banned from the recruitment category altogether and shouldn’t even be questioned.

I’m unsure what you mean by moderators is a roleplay position? (Counting when explaining roleplay positions, you included moderators.) Do you mean moderators who don’t actually have power?

I guess there would be no way to verify that unless users explain that in their post. / Unsure how staff would go about that.

Overall I agree, but I guess it depends on what you consider to be roleplay and whatnot.

1 Like

Community Moderators is an interesting thing.

imo it should only be allowed if the role plays into development, or is a role you would have at a game studio (e.g. community manager, player support representative)

2 Likes

I guess that makes sense, I personally feel like community moderators plays into the development of a game (if we’re talking about in game moderators) - You don’t want your game to have a reputation of a poor game and that could reduce the growth of the game.

However, the debate could be “is it important enough to be allowed”? Probably not. It’s easy to have community moderators and I don’t know if it’s worth posting on here, but I don’t know if it’s a thing that should get the post removed or have that kind of topic banned.

2 Likes

I don’t feel like a community moderator is anything to do with development.

My ‘rule of thumb’ would be, if it does not involve roblox studio, then its not relevant.

Of course this has a few exceptions such as community managers and social media managers, however when you are literally looking for reolplay workers and moderators for your roblox hotel, cafe, whatever I feel thats taking away what this forum is about.

2 Likes

As I see it, the recruitment category should only be open to those who contribute to the game’s success. All types of developers (whether builder, programmer, artist, modeler, etc), as well as community managers and other positions that contribute to the game’s future should be allowed in this category. I think that roleplay positions should not be allowed.

4 Likes

This is covered by the category description:

The category should only be used for (primarily paid) game development positions. Asking people to join in some role on a cafe/hotel/etc roleplay, to moderate for free, and anything else that does not seem close enough to a game development position is off-topic.

You can flag posts that use the category for other purposes (i.e. volunteering testers / roleplayers / moderators) for being off-topic.

That being said, Community Management is an actual role in game development teams and I would very much consider that as a development position myself, so long as it is a paid opportunity.

8 Likes

Does this mean all un-paid development opportunity’s are also against category guidelines?

That’s too broad of a statement, but a payment being provided can help tip the balance of the post being on-topic or not. If you want to do something ridiculous like paying someone $20,000 a year for working as a cashier in a roleplaying game… I guess that’s fine for Recruitment since it gives someone a job. Overall the point is just that the category should be used to provide people with opportunities to work and participate in development projects – not for fooling around / promoting certain roleplay communities / etc.

5 Likes

So let’s say someone made a group, and they are hiring teachers and/or cafe workers, but there is no pay, would that be allowed?

1 Like

That seems like fooling around. Should only use the category for serious opportunities (development / paid).

5 Likes