Reference Roblox Integration for Blender

Does this work the other way around.?

17 Likes

Does it check for the specific mesh to know if its a new file or actually the file name, file location?
Do we need to keep a backup of the Blender file ?

16 Likes

You will definitely want to keep the blender file saved. When you upload say a collection using the plugin, the first time you do, we create a new package asset with the name of the collection.

The Asset ID that is returned from the API is saved on the collection as a custom property. Future uploads will create a new version of that package. If you save the .blend file, it will keep this ID information. So if you open that file later and use the plugin to upload, it will continue to update that package.

If you want to use a new file to update an existing package, you will want to add this custom property manually and set it to the asset ID you want to update before clicking upload. (see this section of the pluginā€™s README)

@realOmlet this is relevant to your question as well:
This is not bi-directional, this is uni-directional, only from Blender to Roblox. And there is no way to get the asset back into Blender from Roblox, so if you donā€™t save your .blend file you will have a hard time iterating on that asset in the future without just recreating it from scratch.

16 Likes

This is a huge W update from Roblox! I canā€™t wait to see Roblox Open Cloud integration with apps like Figma, which is a hassle to properly import into Roblox Studio even with Figma to Roblox add-ons.

15 Likes

Wow this is awesome! Definitely going to speed up the workflow.

Are the meshes exported using whatever export settings I have in Blender? For example, if I have my transform scale set to 1.5 when I normally export meshes, will they be imported at 1.5 scale. Or does it just default to the basic export settings.

15 Likes

No, there is no relation between information in Blenderā€™s FBX export UI and the plugin.

The plugin assumes default values, so, by default, it will auto scale the content to 0.01 before uploading. We felt like this was the most-likely-to-be-useful behavior for this first version.

So for example, if you start from the basic blender cube, and donā€™t do anything with scale, it will look as you expect in Roblox. However, if you have existing files that you have already rescaled to be ā€œRoblox Scaleā€ they will look tiny when uploading form the plugin.

My suggestion is to keep scaling default in Blender, and use a scale of 0.01 when manually exporting to FBX files.

If you do this, everything will be properly scaled both from File import in studio and upload via the plugin.

Correction: You can change the scaling the plugin uses in the add-on settings in blender! (see @Nightriffā€™s response below for instructions)

20 Likes

By default, the plugin exports at .01 scale, which equates Blender Meters to Roblox Studs.
If you are modeling in a different unit, you can change this add-onā€™s export settings in

Edit > Preferences > Add-ons > Import-Export: Upload to Roblox > Export Scale

25 Likes

ayo, this will help me alot since im a animator and does not need to use the plugin i need

12 Likes

Even better! I figured it wouldā€™ve been preset but for us developers with weird scaling and preexisting projects this helps a lot. Thank you both!

14 Likes

No tris limit ?

#why30characters

11 Likes

Would exporting rigs from Roblox to Blender be coming alongside animation support, possibly as FBX files?

11 Likes

Same behavior as 3D Import in studio, meshes above the triangle limit will be simplified. Note that if simplification takes too long the service might timeout and the upload will fail.

12 Likes

woah, this will definitely be very useful and is definitely a huge step into the right direction. How will this work for (pbr) mesh textures/maps? Will texture idā€™s be automatically generated or will we have to manually insert?

10 Likes

The plugin bundles the textures with the upload, the resulting package should have all the textures and PBR materials included and asset IDs set.

If you have used Studioā€™s ā€œImport 3Dā€ tool, this works the same way

9 Likes

This is awesome!

Hoping for the same treatment for programmers. Hopefully we will hear more about this at RDC this year.

11 Likes

Great to see Roblox supporting 3rd-party tools, and for something thatā€™s incredibly helpful for modelling in Blender! :smiley:

8 Likes

This is great and Iā€™ve been testing it with my team, but we already hit a roadblock. I guess this is more of an issue with packages, but there doesnā€™t seem to be a good way to reimport the mesh after applying texture/materials in studio as it causes the package to desync. It would be nice if the package system had some way to ā€˜layerā€™ itself or a way to only apply modifications to certain attributes like meshID, that way we can seamlessly update and build on the world in Blender without having to worry about this syncing stuff.
If the package/import somehow maintained the colors/textures/materials assigned in studio this would be absolutely perfect.

10 Likes

YES FINALLY WHAT WE ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

Rejoice everyone, we have a dedicated Blender integration !!!

A big THANK YOU to all the ppl that came up with the idea !!!

9 Likes

Very nice feature looks good. I am wondering if more stuff like this is going to be made by Roblox. Examples of things Iā€™m thinking about are built in rojo, perhaps Tilemaps being created as GUI, auto image import etc.

EDIT:
I think I might be late to asking this since it looks like you guys left after an hour :frowning:

9 Likes

this is an UBER rare roblox W

iā€™m actually looking forward to checking this out, hopefully it makes importing things from blender a bearable process

7 Likes