Reference Roblox Integration for Blender

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I’m glad to hear this. Knowing that Roblox knows how much work there is left with the 3d asset workflow is a relief. It has been (and somewhat still is) one of the major painpoints of developing our game in the past year. I’m excited to hear what your plans are at RDC!

1 Like

After I apply materials to an object in blender, is there a way to export those materials and use it in roblox and have it apply on the model

1 Like

You should bake the materials onto the objects, since Blender won’t export them alone but there are tons of youtube tutorials to help you

2 Likes

Oh very nice, this will be the first RDC I watch the day of release!
I hope we get some of the stuff I mentioned.

2 Likes

I don’t know about rare, maybe this would be uncommon rarity now.
Roblox have done some pretty good things like multicursor, import improvements,coastlines, Align Position limits etc. I think that after 3 more things like this, we can reasonably expect W updates all the time. Right now its a 40 percent chance of great update, 20 percent chance of mid update, and 40 percent chance of bad update.

1 Like

This is really cool! Might be a consideration to use blender again (since i havent used it in over 8 months oops)

1 Like

One issue I find with this plugin is that it uploads meshes under the collection that are hidden in viewport. A workaround for this is just moving it out of the collection but could you make it so that meshes hidden in viewport are not uploaded?

1 Like

I found out why this happens. It happens when there are non-mesh items like curves. Without them its fine, with them they are invisible.

2 Likes

This is the errors I get when installing the add-ons using VS code because I can’t install using blender. How can I fix this?
Thanks in advance!
Note: I’m using blender newest version.

3 Likes

This will be extremely helpful because we don’t have to switch back and forth for any changes This will be amazing, to use and most likely save a lot of hours. this change will be saving a lot of bandwidth and IT LOOKS GREAT!

2 Likes

Make sure VS Code is running as administrator the first time through setup!

See step 2 of the contribution via VS Code instructions from the Readme:

Open VS Code as administrator to allow the Blender Development plugin to install a debugger for Blender (Only need to do this the first time)

1 Like

Yeah that doesn’t work, I still get the same errors

1 Like

This is by far the most innovative and astounding feature y’all released! The amount of time that this add-on will save will be incredible, THANKS!

Few Questions

1. How does the Roblox and Blender Coordinate System Translate? Will there also be a setting for Coordinate Systems to change Z Forward, Y, X, etc?

2. Will there be Support for Surface Appearance (PBR)? I get errors when trying to upload with a colormap and normap map. Maybe Implement a Roblox Shader Node, that imports as a surface appearnce?

Last and Biggest Request

1. Will Roblox Implement a Way to Export Voxel Terrain to Blender and vice versa? I know this is a big ask, but as a terrain modeller, heightmaps are imperfect and my elevation is always off ± 4 studs. I cannot find how Roblox reads a heightmap on the elevation.

I have tried previously to export the whole game as a .obj, but the exported file always had chunks missing.

5 Likes

Are there any plans on implementing additional control over the package from Blender? It would be interesting if it was possible to change materials and other properties.

7 Likes

I think this is a really good idea! That makes everything waay faster. Good Job Roblox :clap:

3 Likes

WWWWWWWWW update, did not expect this, it helps a lot like whenver I have to make small changes to meshes.

2 Likes

This is really cool! I can now make changes quicker without needing to upload a new mesh.

1 Like

this is really interesting. Do you know why the authorization page on roblox leads to a LOCALHOST address?

2 Likes

Since the add-on is running locally on your machine, there is no “app server” running somewhere that you’re logging into; rather, you’re logging into an app on your own computer.

So, in order to capture the authentication code included in the callback from Roblox’s OAuth2 server, the add-on starts a local server to handle the redirect.

1 Like

This idea is neat! Currently the asset upload API does not support metadata to set instance properties during upload, so there’s no way to implement this.

5 Likes