Release Notes for 582

It is explained here, in an earlier post, why some improvements have odd titles.

Read this. My previous post was unfortunately moderated.

13 Likes

I am so happy this is finally a feature, I used to have to manually reload the plugin after changing something and was very annoying to the workflow.

7 Likes

Ah that’s my bad. I’ve never experienced this issue using a non apple mouse on my mac, so I didn’t know that was a thing.

4 Likes

:grinning:
Amazing work! I work extensively with Rojo plugins in Rojo places and it’s so nice to do something like

$ rojo build plugin.project.json --output ~/Documents/Roblox/Plugins/plugin.rbxm --watch

and see it update in Studio. Goodbye my friend, no more clicking you 100 times per day.

7 Likes

I see absolutely no use in this functionally. You can right click the output and clear it. Using programming to do this has effectively no purpose. The only thing that I can genuinely see is malicious use.

3 Likes

I believe the intended use is to allow for plugins to have more access to output features. Maybe you want to make your own custom plugin that clears the output and prints some debug info.

5 Likes

It doesn’t have any use for most users but some advanced users wish to use this in semi-automated tooling workflows for testing / rapid-prototyping purposes.

Imagine for instance you’re trying to debug a specific scenario in your game and you want to clear the output right before that scenario occurs so it’s easy to see exactly the output lines you’re interested in. Having a command available to do something like that can come in handy surprisingly often.

It is an API with a non-zero amount of risk for sure… that’s why it hadn’t been added yet.

10 Likes

When I want to run a script in the command line that will print something, I have to add a wait so I have time to clear the output. Remember, the script I ran is printed in the output before it runs, which can fill up a lot of space and could make it look cluttered. With LogService:ClearOutput(), I don’t need to add a wait and I don’t need to clear it myself. Automation.

3 Likes

I know it may sound stupid, but what exactly is PlaybackRegion?

I couldn’t find anything about it in Docs, is it a region sound plays in?

Thanks, and I apologize again if it sounds a bit goofy. :grinning:

2 Likes

Why I don’t have this updates I have today worked on my plugin and can’t reload it

2 Likes

Do you see the “Reload plugins on file changed” setting in the Studio settings or not and what value does it have?

2 Likes

This has been an issue for ages, thanks for addressing it.

3 Likes

I didn’t even realize this was in the release notes, but this has indeed been a bother for a long time now.

3 Likes

What features will be removed after we reach this limit? In addition, will we be able to turn this feature off?

6 Likes

Ye I seen it in the settings and it was false now I set to treu but I seen no reload plugin button

3 Likes

Usually, most code editors turn off syntax highlighting and code completion for very long files. This is a normal thing and it’s to prevent memory leaks and general high memory usage; for the features getting changed at that point, I’m guessing

• Line wrapping turning off
  • Autocomplete turning off
  • Syntax highlighting turning off
3 Likes

If you’re using rojo build and making sure the plugin is being built to an rbxm file inside your local plugins folder, it should automatically reload that plugin every time it is built.

Example: rojo build default.project.json -o "/Users/refactor/Documents/Roblox/Plugins/mypluginname.rbxm"

You can also append --watch to the end, and it will rebuild every time there are changes.

1 Like

It would be sick if it worked, though:

(it only works for the studio output window)

The in game command line only runs code on the server, not the client.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.