Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

I feel like we’ve posted more than enough feature requests on how to improve groups, the feed, and following features on the website. Even you have. You’d think by now Roblox would know what needs to be improved by now and would do something about it. I’d link some if I weren’t on mobile.

Discord isn’t the problem here, the Roblox website is.

22 Likes

Didn’t @Lilly_S herself have a great threat about groups? I think the thread should have what hasn’t been implemented taken into great consideration :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I really hate to say this and I swear to God I do but lets face it. We been promised to our faces not for weeks, not for months, but for several years that they would improve groups.

Does anyone here remember a specific blog post about improving groups with marketable items, and other things for war clans? That was either 2012 or 2014 but still the only thing we ever really got out of it was the ability to sell group clothes.

Im sorry but I don’t believe anyone anymore when they promise anything for groups. I gave up hearing these “revival” attempts a long time ago. I have zero faith that groups will see an overhaul that can even come close to making up for this.

I am not going to lie to myself and expect something when groups have been pushed on the back burner for years when it comes to priority and demand.

I will not trust any promises for groups until they live up to it.

26 Likes

Yeah this was about her post.

Quote pulled from that thread (that supports @TechSpectrum’s post) :

6 Likes

Not to mention you can restrict the amount of profanity users post on discord, however in twitter it’s open to the public and only the law can stop them. Along with NSFW in twitter, people can post whatever they want and it’s not their problem to worry about who views it, in discord you MUST put an “NSFW Tag” which will have the user confirm under the law that they are of legal age to view NSFW content but i must say most of the servers i’m in don’t have NSFW servers all together. The ones that do are purely youtube/other sites.

6 Likes

I agree, I created a post similar to this awhile ago in feature requests.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/ability-to-link-social-media-platforms-to-groups-including-discord/61815

3 Likes

Great. I’ll make sure to look at it! :grin:

2 Likes

I see this as a huge problem, because sadly the only way I can communicate with people now is Via discord, and I do have strict rules on the ways I went about things. I build and develop for many groups in order to help out this community and yet the filters have become so strong I have to start saying “So you want me to build MUSIC10 buildings?” and it’s getting annoying, and now you’re saying I must go back to being limited to how I’m able to contact my developers. I find it also easier to use discord to be able to fully contact with somebody and be sure I’m not getting scammed which is one of the main reasons why i use the platform, because i’m not able to be searched for and harassed by any means. If there is problems with how I am able to communicate legitimately with people and not be limited with filters I hope there is an easy solution or I will have to proceed with some way on to fix an issue such as this. This is a very minor issue as more under 13 players are being exploited with audio bypasses and exploits than minor discord servers in which most groups end up thriving off of, as you crack down on the use of discord servers so will the use and activity of groups and so will the already hard task of such minor developers like me being able to find a good way to contact others on ROBLOX.

13 Likes

To be honest I think it all comes down to the paranoia around the internet and language and sex and political correctness now :frowning:

The internet, by definition, is simply too open for things to be completely restricted.
Parents don’t seem to understand that, and, in my opinion, take some things a bit too seriously.

Plus some of them have no idea what they are doing, and don’t seem to use or care about implemented features.

Then again, it’s still a dangerous place.

What can we do? lol

10 Likes

I’m not sure if this was mentioned before, but is posting your discord username on your profile permissible? Also, I hate to put all the twitter drama in this conversation, but Discord is kinda our rescue branch that’s keeping us from falling off that waterfall of having no contact with our game users, thanks to recent Twitter issues.

I’d like to point out that we have “Official” discord servers that prevent the usage of certain words, and these servers are managed by some of our best mods ( :wink: @bayat @evaera just to name two out of hundreds).

On these discord servers, we usually maintain a policy that commonly goes by “If you can’t do it on Roblox, you’re not allowed to do it here”.

To end, I’d like to point out that Twitter has garbage, I’ll admit that Discord can too. But we can’t sit down and just put boxes around our users that disadvantage us as developers. I’m not saying you haven’t thought of the consequences, or that you aren’t planning something amazing to make up for our social handle loss, but sometimes we have to take risks for the better. Discord is our social home base, I know there are if’s and but’s about giving Roblox users access to it, but I hope that the pros and cons are wheighed out expertly, and impacts to developers are prevented. I hope for the best…

Edit: Some people thought that I was referring to the Roblox community servers as official, I haven’t. I used official to refer to the discord servers run by the developers, eg. The Jailbreak discord, the Vehicle Simulator discord, Stylis Studios, Novaly Studios, HIdden Developers, etc.

Our games use discord, we use them for codes, and give players prizes in-game if they are in our discords. It’s basically giving us a forum for each game where announcements and prizes can be given. It combines Twitter and forums and puts it in this centralized and widely known application. What could be better?

13 Likes

Thanks for the reply; that makes perfect sense.

My problem is there are multiple safe guards already in place, which could easily be found and utilised by the overprotective parent(s), such as disabling access to chats, etc, yet still get called out for not having anything to “protect their children from dangerous online pedophiles” (aka 12 year old kids using the internet).

I also think that this decision to filter and restrict discord could of been done in so many other ways, which would not of impacted any of our communities. I could make multiple feature requests regarding this, however I honestly doubt they’d be taken into consideration.

Edit: Re-worded some stuff.

9 Likes

I mean, we’re the consumers. Roblox should be working for us. The developers are who power communities on this platform and are the ones who keep Roblox popular.

11 Likes

I’m fine with roblox removing discord links, but blocking us from posting the discord links on another website that’s connected to our roblox account, like Twitter?

Thats extremely unfair, Roblox aren’t our parents and can’t enforce that rule on us. It makes the whole situation sound like a corporatocracy.

Unless they’ve revoked this in one of the past posts (haven’t checked all the replies) then I’m truly against this. Not posting it on Roblox, yeah I understand that, but don’t limit what we cant do on other websites.

21 Likes

“…Since Discord’s Terms of Service only allows people aged 13 or older to use their platform and Roblox is a platform for all ages, we cannot risk unfairly exposing underage users to platforms such as Discord…”

So we’re allowing Facebook to break that rule and link to kids social media private lives but something like Discord isn’t allowed? :thinking:

"…Facebook can be viewed without logging in "

With little or no real value except for seeing a meme video that may have been posted publicly or one of those videos that start off fine then scream NSFW stuff at you. I’ve seen some people link Facebook pages but that got removed for some reason, so only Facebook profiles can be linked now.

56 Likes

I honestly feel this needs to be reviewed as a ROBLOX policy.

I feel Discord is a valuable asset to developers, as it allows them to communicate and engage with their community. I do feel ROBLOX is lacking a feature which allows the kind of engagement which Discord allows, and if they’re going to block such valuable asset, I feel an alternative solution should be considered and provided by ROBLOX.

23 Likes

Aw, i hoped that discord will be on roblox icon with link on profile like twitter or youtube…

3 Likes

What about games that have Experimental Mode on? Only users 13+ can enter them.

3 Likes

Implementing Discord’s new rich presence feature would’ve been a lot of work, I get that, but maybe reconsider banning it entirely just because of this.
More importantly: Don’t lie to us, don’t hide behind the Roblox account to lie to us.

Lies

Gonna give this one a Big Thinky though, maybe I’ll figure out what kind of pressure led to this mistake. Could Twitch Desktop be competing with Discord? I mean, both are Electron powered mistakes of nature, both do servers, friends, chats, etc. Hmm… :thinking:

EDIT: Maybe something bad happened on Discord involving Roblox employees? :thinking:

6 Likes

Perhaps the problem lies with COPPA. From what I can tell, it only protects children under 13 that have an account, since collecting data without an account (on whatever platform) isn’t the easiest thing ever.

ROBLOX has gone to the extreme with these rules because of COPPA and it’s heavily affecting developers. Groups are a thing, yes, but they’re so outdated. Discord is such a good platform to connect with your fans and other developers. (Not to mention some Discord servers have rules that have to be obeyed, otherwise people will be punished.)

Rules from my Discord

10 Likes

The reason this is so lame is because no viable alternatives have been provided yet, and it looks like it’ll be a very long time until we get some from Roblox. The lack of even a bit of advice on where to move or how to handle this rule creates a lot of distance between Roblox and developers.

Question: If I link directly to a twitter account in a game description, and that twitter account has a discord invite link in its bio, does that outlaw my twitter profile?

Images

11 Likes