Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

Posting Discord links have always been removed when noticed, often with a ban/warning. The only links there existed were links that slipped through the filters’ crack.

1 Like

Discord links were only removed when reported. “When reported” is a lot less than all of them under the current enforcement changes.

2 Likes

Right, so nothing changed.

1 Like

No, a lot has changed. The amount of Discord links actually being taken down has been impacted tremendously.

I don’t think “inappropriate content is now being taken down at a faster rate than before” is a major rule change.

1 Like

There has never been a rule change – only an enforcement change. Hundreds of thousands of users exist in Roblox Discord servers – berezaa’s accounts for just 100,000 alone. The 200 posts on the thread are also a good hint. This change in enforcement has far-reaching effects.

2 Likes

What does the quantity of people in roblox related discord servers have anything to do with the enforcement of this already existing rule? Bottom line is that you can still use discord servers, and you can still advertise them on your social media, just not directly link/mention it from Roblox

The amount of users in Discord servers shows what percentage of their players game developers are able to engage. As mentioned by Roblox in the OP, current tools for managing online communities are long overdue for an improvement – Discord has allowed developers and other community leaders to engage their audiences substantially better. The larger the Discord server, the larger the community affected by existing tools’ inability to adequately engage our audiences.

As difficulty of finding Discord servers increases, the amount of players joining these Discord communities will decrease. The developer’s ability to engage their community will diminish. Smaller communities will be especially impacted, as their join rate is already low.

2 Likes

I have a small community(I usually have no more than 10-20 active players all day, and I don’t ever update this game in question) and yet they STILL find my discord server which is only advertised on my twitter.

The problem is that yes, Discord may be good for community engagement, but as a platform it’s not as “child safe” as the social media platforms Roblox does allow. It’s extremely easy to impersonate people on discord, even I’ve been caught off guard a couple of times, just imagine what that’s like for a child? Yes, discord “requires” users be 13+ but we all know kids don’t care about that. Roblox is just being realistic, if you allow discord links all over the place, children WILL join discord and open themselves up to scammers and predators. When you join a server, everyone can find you easily, everyone can message you, anyone can send you files or change their name to impersonate an admin and ask for your password. Discord does NOT mix well with children, and Roblox is just being realistic in wanting to keep the platform safe for children.

Like I’ve stated before, just linking the discord server on twitter is absolutely good enough for advertising your server to your dedicated fan base. The kind of fans who would keep the game active and look forward to your updates will find you with ease. This seems a lot more about protecting the wider audience of under 13 users.

1 Like

while Discord requires you to have an account so people aged 12 and under cannot see the information you are linking. This is the primary reason we are not able to allow it.

Well we don’t necessarily want people aged 12 and under visiting our discord server. But restricting the more mature audience from creating a community free of oppressive censorship seems unfair.

Here is an idea I had for distributing a discord link, I’d like to know if it violates the aforementioned policy since only a person familiar with discord would catch on?

mispoured Y4fjJFt

4 Likes

That’s just bypassing the rules. You can try and get away with it and you may succeed but it’s still against the rules and if it caught on would be moderated

1 Like

Yes, safety is a problem and a completely justifiable reason for the change. My original reply was made because there was confusion over whether this announcement actually affected Discord servers since the rules never changed.

It’s good to hear that users find their way to Discord servers through Twitter. Hopefully communities will not be noticeably impacted in this case.

But how are they going to find their way from twitter? The policy clearly states

Please note: As per our rules, using any of the above websites to redirect to another website outside of those listed above, or linking content containing inappropriate material, will result in the link being removed and moderation action being taken against the associated account

3 Likes

It’s fine to link your Discord on Twitter so long as you don’t link to a Tweet containing Discord or mention Discord when you link your Twitter account which contains Discord in its bio/pinned tweet.

4 Likes

I would be fine not having any problems with the removal of links, but the word has been added to the filter and I can’t invite any developers to join my dev-team because ROBLOX chat is so filtered you can’t be sure if you’re getting a good deal or you’re being scammed.

1 Like

It still would make it very difficult to communicate directly to people on ROBLOX, yet I now have to keep my twitter account private due to the banning and suspending of twitter accounts via false allegations. There isn’t really a win win situation, you either allow discord or you don’t, in this case they don’t.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

8 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

7 Likes

6 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.