Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

:thinking:

let’s just continue to be completely silent on the issue and maybe people will forget about it

33 Likes

Yes, a response from the staff would be helpful.

3 Likes

I think Roblox is well aware of the benefits of Discord, considering staff members are present in the unofficial Discord guilds related to Roblox/Developer Forum, and they also regularly do shouts there when they release an announcement (like this one).

This is what they have already shared in the first post about their commitment to improving the group/messaging tools on the Roblox website:

I agree there is little detail here about what is actually happening, but they may not be able to share more than this right now. We will probably get more information as we progress through 2018. I wouldn’t expect any big updates/announcements or additional information over the holiday period, as they generally have less staff available, and they also have a code freeze starting right about now, meaning they won’t really work on any new features until January.

Mandatory footnote: Keep in mind this is not a new policy (so they’re not banning Discord links without providing an alternative, rather there was never an alternative to messaging/groups that was allowed in the first place).

1 Like

I don’t think what Roblox has shared so far (in the first post) is what people are looking for. Roblox has told us they will improve their existing, on-site tools. People are interested in Roblox’s updated stance or plan on off-site tools given the large amount of feedback provided in the last few weeks. Knowing that Roblox will improve their on-site tools is definitely a good thing, but not what people want to know about.

I, of course, look forward to whatever response Roblox gives, but I don’t think the existing responses actually cover what people want to know.

Additionally, I think there is a fairly new change to the rules. Perhaps it wasn’t new to this post, but it certainly wasn’t around a year or two ago: players can no longer post discord ids.

In the past it was specifically stated that “Search <name> on <platform>” is allowed even if links to <platform> are not allowed. It’s possible that most players see this as a new rule. I was not even aware that it changed. In fact, I can’t even find a list of allowed off-site links in the community guidelines or terms of use anymore. The only thing I can find is a forum post from 2012.

6 Likes

What has me annoyed isn’t that nonexisting alternatives its the blatant fact that we are getting likely empty promises to settle us down. Now I stated this before but any group related promises I refuse to believe since they put it off every year for the past 3 or so years. I want to know however what we are suddenly supposed to getting that is beneath this vague and timely placed promise.

11 Likes

Yes I agree completely I would be fine if Roblox had alternatives but the only thing that they have is the heavily censored chat.

5 Likes

Hi!

I’m a little confused here:
If we’re not allowed to share off-site links, then how come the Roblox ‘Shop’ button sends us right to Amazon where you’re supposed to be older than 18 years old to purchase anything.

I mean, if this is a possibility, then make it so that every off-site link mentiones that.

29 Likes

The rule regarding permissible links applies only to user-generated content, not to content provided by Roblox.

4 Likes

Uh, Amazon != Roblox…?

Or am I misunderstanding what you’re saying?

4 Likes

I am replying to the post above mine where it is implied that it would somehow be hypocritical that Roblox has an off-site link to Amazon while there is a policy against off-site links. The point being that Roblox can link to whatever Roblox wants to link, the policy just applies to links in user-generated content.

1 Like

Is github permissible

2 Likes

See the first post:

Github is not in the list, so Github links are not allowed.

Personally, I do not believe Roblox has the potenital to create something as good as Discord, on Discord I feel free and welcomed. Roblox just makes me feel like I am being watched and constantly restricted on every move I make. Also, if Roblox were to improve groups it would take them multiple years to even get a prototype as we’ve been waiting years for any change to the groups.

23 Likes

Roblox does not stick to their own terms of service, they can do whatever they like and no one can stop them.

16 Likes

some of yall gettin a wee bit too butthurt about this

5 Likes

The age-based rule distinctions on ROBLOX feel underutilized. I’m not saying “reduce preteen vocabulary to a few dozen approved words” like when Menu Chat was around. But the whole community shouldn’t be restricted to preserve the innocence of younger minds. Surely there’s a middle ground?

48 Likes

This still gets me heated today…

Hopefully the feature comes out soon that roblox is talking about. As many users such as @HoudiniDev have explained so far the logical action would be either add support to discord or make it so only 13 and older users can see discord links. Discord is pretty friendly. Another thing that could happen is have someone well trusted by the community make a discord bot that connects to roblox and have it run checks on the server before allowing the discord link.

6 Likes

I have been made aware of a couple things that have happened that would of caused Roblox to state something like this. One being the RoVerify incident that has left at least a thousand accounts out in the open for someone to get into. Two being activity that does not need to be stated have been happening with the users who have been in these communities. Although not every discord is like this these are Probably the two biggest reasons Roblox has decided to come up with moderating discord links on group games and group descriptions. I still side with the people who want discord to be supported, but in a way I also want to see what Roblox has in mind with the new features they plan to implement in the future. As a not so well known developer I rely on my community to get my game’s word out in order to make sure my game becomes a success, this is why I use discord.

4 Likes

Quick question, are we still allowed to advertise our game or our own twitter accounts in game?

Yes, twitter links and handles are allowed. Linking to another game is also allowed.

2 Likes