Reminder Regarding Permissible Links

I don’t think a single occurrence of a Discord id being posted will result in moderation for the group or its owner.

If your group appears to be systemically posting Discord ids from various users in the shouts or on the wall – or anywhere, as a group – in an effort to evade moderation, then I can see your group being moderated. On the other hand, if it appears to be uncoordinated and random – just users being unaware of the rules – then I can see individual punishments per user being dealt out. Coordinated rule-breaking will be dealt with differently from individual rule-breaking.

Similarly, if you appear to be using alternative accounts to evade moderation when posting Discord ids, then you could be moderated for it.

As long as you don’t try to break the rules, you should be fine. Don’t encourage anyone to post Discord ids and when you see a shout or post on your group with an id, delete it. Ideally, put in your Discord server’s rules, “do not post our Discord id on Roblox”.

Last of all, this is not an official opinion from Roblox Staff – I don’t know what Roblox will actually do, but what I’ve stated seems reasonable to me given their past actions.

2 Likes

I don’t think this ‘legally’ needs to exist. Roblox can do whatever they want, it’s their platform, if they wanted to ban you for something that’s not on the rules I’m sure they could; there’d likely be outcry, but it’s still their platform and their property, they have no obligation to allow anyone to use it.

4 Likes

I need re-clarification; are we allowed to put our Discord/whatever appropriate links on our Twitter and link said post, or Twitter account, without being marked down?

e.g.
twitter url / myusername / postid -> On post, says “Come join the X Community Discord! discord url / discord code” -> Post it to (group description)

That much is unclear to me. I’m scrolling through but I can’t seem to understand if this is the case or not. Some are saying its allowed, others not (but putting it on your bio is allowed? wouldn’t that be the same as linking a post?).

2 Likes

You are not allowed to directly link to a tweet referencing Discord or including a Discord id.

You are allowed to link to a profile that includes a pinned tweet or an id in the bio. You are not allowed to link to the tweet, but you can link to the profile.

“Check out my twitter! <link to profile>” (which happens to have a pinned Discord id) is fine. “Get my Discord id from Twitter! <link to profile>” is not fine. The link and the Discord id have to be “coincidental”.

Consider this – a child is on Roblox. He or she clicks a Youtube link, and watches some Roblox video. 30 minutes later, they’ve followed a YouTube trail to some questionable content. No reasonable person will blame Roblox for that – YouTube is one of the most popular sites in existence. If you don’t want your child on it, you had more than enough time to block YouTube or give them a restricted account. The first thought in this scenario is, “why does YouTube allow this? Perhaps my child should not use YouTube.”

On the other hand, consider what happens in a parent sees their child click on a Youtube link on Roblox that leads directly to a questionable video. The first thought is, “why does Roblox allow this? Perhaps my child should not play Roblox.” This is made worse if the content on Roblox specifically mentions the questionable content – “Check out <questionable NSFW content> on YouTube, guys!” is seen as really bad on Roblox’s part.

On some level, kids avoid such questionable videos naturally. Giving a child access to a normal, reasonable YouTube video is fine because they probably won’t end up at anything questionable. Kids want to watch videos about games or fidget spinners – not NSFW or otherwise questionable content. Directly linking them to something questionable removes any chance of staying safe.

Now apply the same logic to Twitter – linking to reasonable, safe Twitter content is fine. Kids will avoid the bad stuff, and if not then their parents should have blocked it. Linking directly to a “questionable” tweet? Clearly not the same – there’s no way for the kid to avoid the content naturally anymore, so Roblox is at fault, from the parent’s perspective.

Linking to a Discord tweet is direct. Linking to a profile that has a Discord link somewhere on it is indirect. The latter will not be seen the same as the former.

4 Likes

That’s quite honestly absurd, but alright, whatever. :expressionless:

Thanks for the reply.

4 Likes

I know one of the reasons Discord is not permitted on Roblox due it being
moderated by the community who own servers. However, Discord did
recently add a feature and dedicated team who moderate content.

45ed1902a20c6bf4d366b72b609d9e5b

11 Likes

Discord has always operated a dedicated team, however the tools to access the team was limited.
Before the implantation of the feature you described, there was a report button when right clicking and before then there was a dedicated email, abuse@discordapp.com in which you required:-

• Message IDs
  • Channel IDs
  • User IDs
  • Server IDs

To grab this, visit the Discord support page at https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000291932

I hope things can improve and fully allow a more harmonious relationship between developers and their audience.

Although, I would love to see Roblox review this policy at a later date when things have improved and Roblox has regained some level of trust within Discord.

8 Likes

I just wanted to give a side-note in regards of Discord servers:

You can have chat moderation on. I am not sure how powerful the filter there is, but it probably blocks the bad words and things. As addition to that you can also add a verification level. I just recently suggested an ‘Age Restriction’ option, among other things, on Discord’s feedback site as well.

If all that would become thing, would that potentially make Discord white-listed?

10 Likes

The Discord filter rarely works, I have it set to max in my server, but none of the swear words are removed and only some explicit images.

3 Likes

Really? Hm… :thinking:
That’ll need fixing lol.

1 Like

I believe it was also something with COPPA that if they lie about age they can still see adult content, which is not acceptable. Not entirely certain though.

4 Likes

honestly if i had to send in an ID to be able to see all chats I would do it

3 Likes

The filter does not look for swear words, despite of level. It mostly searches for “NSFW” content.

2 Likes

It’s not like Roblox is the only place people lie about their age, though. I honestly think that’s not supposed to be put on in this case Roblox’s shoulders, but the parents of said child and / or the child themselves lying about their age. I mean it’s not like Roblox would enforce them to lie about their age, that’s literally their own decision, right? Their decision, their responsibility. Can’t be made any easier in my opinion.

16 Likes