RemoteEvents to do custom SFX?

1. What do you want to achieve?
    I want to have custom sound effects for my game, like wings flapping and sounds for specific actions.

Example:

1. What is the issue?
    I’ve been looking at a lot of tutorials on RemoteEvents but I can’t seem to understand them. I stitched together a few tutorials, but since I have trouble paying attention to videos I didn’t get far. Is there a simple way to do RemoteEvents or something similar for sound effects specifically, or should I be looking for a different way to script them?

2. What solutions have you tried so far?
    I tried watching videos, but most are pretty long and I can’t focus on them for more than a few minutes (This is a personal problem, so it’s not as important. Anyway,). When I use a local script to try and play a sound effect like jumping, it only plays on the player’s client, which is obvious given that it’s a local script. It seems overly complicated to me just to play sounds coming from a player. I’m not upset over that, just tired.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yep there are definitely other ways to do it, a remote event may not even be necessary in this case. This is because certain aspects of the character replicates automatically which Roblox has done to make some things a bit easier.

For the video example you can use the Humanoid | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub event and connect it to play a sound on jump on the server and it should work.

SWEET, I’m so glad there’s another way! How would you suggest having this jump sound specifically for this character, who actually has two sounds? The video was really quiet for some reason, whoops!

Should I stick a server script inside the character model along with my other scripts, or should I put it somewhere else? So far, I’ve only used local scripts inside my custom morph models instead of playerscripts.

For this and the second question, well it’s up to you how you organize the scripts. One way to do it is to create a normal server script within the character and it’ll run when you :Clone() it.

Another method if you don’t like to put scripts inside models is to use the collection services to “put” the scripts in the model for you. This usually is better as you don’t have to search the workspace to change scripts and modify them in the future. Here a tutorial on it.

1 Like

Super cool! The tagging system sounds like a super smart idea, especially for something big like sound effects. I’ll mark this as a solution since I’ll wait to work on my scripts until tomorrow. Is that alright if I reply again if I have issues? Miigwech (thank you)!!