Removing ability to require non-owned module scripts

That point is flawed. It does not stop people from doing things like these.
The issue comes less from the open/closed source aspect and more of how confident the developer is in the models. I would also like to add that as opposed to modules, which can in one way or another be seen by at least someone even if ROBLOX Staff, there would be no real way of retrieving this source, unless with a decompiler, of which are somewhat rare now anyways, but the point is that with this approach, not only would someone be completely untraceable because the style is lost in the code, but it could case even more damage if just used in a script, as it seems ā€œfineā€ or as if it were just any other open source script.

Yes, the code provided in the first sentence does perform the same function as the one in the screenshot. And it does so via a little thing I revamped/remade not so long ago.
If weā€™re going to try to keep our source safe then weā€™re going to move in to other things. Removing modules will if anything worsen the situation and cause people to use more cryptic things to make their code just that, theirs.

Closed source is fine. Closed source + extremely vast dissemination + updating on a whim is a recipe for trouble, one that is currently being brewed. Thereā€™s always the risk that someone will abuse this combination, and guess what, someone is.

I donā€™t want models nor modules to go away, but there needs to be some action taken on the current situation lest people realize itā€™s A-OK to do whatever they want to other peopleā€™s games against their will, especially with steps taken specifically so game creators do not notice the modifications.

You absolutely missed my point. What Iā€™m saying is at least if something goes wrong in modules, the admin can take care of it, read the source or whatever and dish out punishment.
But what will you do in the case of my example? Thereā€™s no point in trying to rid of MainModule, that method can very well do more harm and honestly takes even less time than uploading a model.
If theoretically I were to add

if not game:GetService('RunService'):IsStudio() then
    SecretlyStealGame();
end;

you would have 0 way of knowing, and whatā€™s worse, itā€™d be too late if you ever do notice.
Once again, modules are not the problem, the fact that people can and will use anything they can to do malicious things is the problem.

2 Likes

Itā€™s server only, but to my knowledge the security surrounding that change was so horrendous it was originally set locally by a fast flag, haha.

1 Like