Removing self-solutions

At least make self-solutions not give them solutions in their own profile. It doesn’t make sense. You didn’t help anyone to get a solution in that case.

1 Like

That is not possible, a solution is still a solution

You helped yourself though? Not sure what you mean.

2 Likes

Solutions are reputation (especially for you lel).

They’re how much you’re involved in the dev forum, and how much you decide to help others.
When you give yourself a solution, you didn’t NEED help at all in that post.
That’s why self-solutions should not be COUNTED on their profile. If you had 8 solutions, and you gave yourself one, that would not count. It would still be 8.

You needed it at first, but eventually you found a solution. Therefore, you helped yourself.

they should since it in a way can show your ability to find issues

3 Likes

I don’t think they are. I think your reputation is your reputation. I don’t look at people differently based on their solution count - that’s not even shown to me unless I look at their profile - I look at them based on my past experiences with them on the Devforum. If I have seen a user before posting helpful tutorials or asking really good questions, I will recognize that more than their solution count.

Well not particularly. What if the user does not spend too much time in #help-and-feedback and instead ops for the more discussion based categories or whatever - I think they are considered “involved” in the dev forum. If anything, replies/topics made would really be considered how much you’re involved with the forum because they are your interactions with people on the forum, not solutions (not implying that this should ever be considered as a unit of measurement - just making a point of how it’s absurd to try to qualify a user’s activity on the forum with such an arbitrary measurement).

Have you never had a problem in which you didn’t think you could figure it out, nobody else could help you, and then maybe you find the solution on a different website or maybe you think of the solution much later? You DID need help, but you found the solution elsewhere at a different time.

2 Likes

Quite a bump, but I disagree with your opinion.

If you have asked a question or asked people how to solve a problem you are encountering in DevForum, and you eventually came up with a solution, marking it would help others who are also having the same problem.

2 Likes

I completely disagree with you. Solutions play no role in the DevForum reputation. I don’t know where you got that idea.

I can’t see it as an issue self solving since they’ll have to create many topics that will have to fit the categories first.

1 Like

What’s the issue with not counting self-solutions? Like just don’t? Is it that complex…? It’s just more fair.

1 Like

What is the issue with counting self-solutions? It might be annoying for someone to misuse it yes, happens a bit, but you can nicely DM the OP telling them a better solution. I think you can also DM a TL4 user about it as well so they can mark a better one. Although this is from an old post when sages were still around, so this probably doesn’t apply anymore.

it involves forking the plugin, probably isn’t that complex but is it really worth the time?

how is it not fair for self-solutions to count? It’s just a number, stats should be the least of your concerns.

2 Likes

Well, sometimes you need to self-solution if you solve it yourself.
Sometimes I realized I was doing something stupid and I replied to my post:

“Solved, I had to blah blah blah blah.” And I self-solutioned that.

If you solve it yourself, you have the right to self-solution.

1 Like

I would rather disagree with this post - but I don’t doubt someone has ever orchestrated a problem, and did it only to mark themselves with an solution.

Since, recently, I’ve just done that. (Mark myself with an solution, I did not orchestrate a problem!)

Small bump, I agree with this. Well kinda. I think people should be able to mark their own post as a solution, but it should not count towards marked solutions on their profile. I see a lot of people basically copy what someone else said, post it on their own thread, and mark their own post as a solution. They do this because it makes them feel “special” to see a little number go up on their profile. But nonetheless, for those who deserve to be marked with solutions, it hurts them because the OP maker mark their own post with a solution. This also leads to duplicate posts and unwanted toxicity sometimes.

By default TL4 users are able to mark solutions on any post in categories that have the plugin enabled, and in older posts TL4 users have even encouraged users to message them if you think a solution was marked inappropriately, so you could probably do that.

Infact the users I’ve seen that basically copy the response and mark the copy as a solution are usually just unaware of proper etiquette, which can be easily corrected by messaging the user suggesting to mark the original solution as the solution, if that doesn’t work you can maybe message a tl4 user. But it doesn’t really matter, if that is the answer it is the answer.

1 Like

A couple times, I’ve seen someone say “thanks these all helped” and quote a bunch of replies and then mark their own post as a solution. To be honest, solutions really aren’t about the number, they’re there to help people find the answer.

1 Like

Your number of solutions should be hidden completely, it’s not even important and I don’t find use for it.

A solution is a solution; people will mark whatever post they feel was most helpful to them. It’s so that others won’t waste their time visiting a topic just to realize it was already solved, either by the author or by someone else. It isn’t a big deal.

A vote for solution could be cool, idk.

That ultimately ruins the purpose of the plugin. The purpose of the plugin is for the OP to mark a solution.

2 Likes

If we were to remove the solution stat from user pages, would self solutions in all cases where they’re still useful to readers then be fine? They’re only meant as a tool. Not as a metric. Seems like people are caught up being greedy over statistics.

5 Likes