Removing Support for Third Party Closed Source Modules

And like I said in my reply, even one child exposed to mature content is undesirable. It doesn’t have to be a front page game, that’s just the worst case scenario.

Your example has literally nothing to do with the topic at hand in any case.

1 Like

You made an argument, I turned it around and said the same thing can occur with open source scripts.

And once again,

this can happen with closed or open source.

2 Likes

But now we know exactly who put the malicious code in the game, and they are to blame. With a closed source module, it doesn’t have to be uploaded under the account of the person who developed the module. You have no way of proving who exactly did it, and on top of this fact, you’ve now got an entire playerbase that’s been affected.

2 Likes

And the game doesn’t have to be edited from the main account of the developer.

Maybe you shouldn’t be giving edit access to random alternate accounts?

Yes, I agree. You shouldn’t be doing that. But, there isn’t really a way to tell if an account is alternate. If the join date is from a few weeks ago and it has nothing on it, then yes it is obvious. I own a few alternate accounts that are years old, and you wouldn’t guess they are alts. A developer just has to make some excuse, such as they lost access to their main account, and now they have team create on an alt.

You shouldn’t be giving edit access to anyone you don’t completely trust. Contractors do not need access. Only the project lead should be allowed to push updates to production.

This conversation has strayed pretty far, so I won’t be replying further.

And people shouldn’t use private modules from people they don’t trust, and people shouldn’t be using open source scripts from people they don’t trust. I don’t use private/open source scripts if they don’t come from me, unless they are posted on the developer forums, and the open source just gives access to some sort of function. And by this I mean something like Module3D. Some sort of API. I won’t create a game with just open source scripts in the toolbox. Yet people do. I see it often. It just ends up not working very well. They wouldn’t know if one of those scripts has a virus, if they are just using free model open source scripts. Same for private modules.

1 Like

I hate to ask this but can this thread be locked?

It is going in circles; nothing new has been added to the argument for ages. If this really needs to continue, it should be in its own thread or in PMs. Roblox has made it clear that this change is happening regardless of what has been said, and I don’t think we gain anything from the same cyclical debates

28 Likes

It’s is going in circles because people aren’t listening to either side.

5 Likes

People need to start being more open-minded instead of flagging other peoples posts for having a different opinion.

I have mixed opinions on this change, it is for the best but it will also come with its consequences of services being closed down. (some of these services, I actively purchase) Whatever happens, it won’t satisfy everyone and people will just have to get over that.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter if “people aren’t listening to either side” because this change is happening anyway as clearly stated above. What’s the point of further discussion when everyone’s argued about the same thing for the past 900 posts?

1 Like

This is tragically true. But Roblox is a childrens platform; so that will be their first and foremost priority. Developers are a close priority, but not first (legal reasons)

1 Like

I can only address part of your post, but I feel like it’s the most important part.

What harm is there in making the code visible to others? Who cares if someone takes it and changes it around a bit?

Most of the non-malicious private module writers are making paid services where you exchange currency (Robux, USD, et cetera) for their program to run in your game. Making this paid service open source would make it wide open for pirating. I realise (as I’m writing this) that this post is a bit old, but I wanted to get my foot in the discussion somewhat.

3 Likes

That’s what I basically said?

Lots of people think that this was the completely wrong call, and that this is destroying everything.

However, this was the right call. This should have been the update from the beginning. Thank you so much for installing this! Now, I don’t have to worry about malicious code being brought into my game!

Sure, I am a bit upset that services like ICW and TBS are destroyed, but I still think that this is the right call.

I wouldn’t put hidden code in any serious game that I am making for a large audience.

What I use private modules for is for community based groups where you can have the same tech used by multiple groups.

Example: Having battles span across different groups and places but the underlying tech is the same, so you know one team isn’t cheating by altering their scripts or such.

1 Like

Yeah. Main thing PMs are used for. But they’re being removed because a few people are using malicious code.

1 Like

A point I believe is worth mentioning into this thread:

Yes, I see that all these points about developers acknowledging that they are inserting a private module into their game even though it could result in a risk of malicious intent being placed in the private modules. As @Muoshuu says,

With Roblox advancing to having people throughout the world with the implementation of localization on games, I believe that Roblox has now shifted from native English speakers to people of other countries, hoping to extend the audience to a much broader range. However, if countries believe that their children should be safe without the sexual and malicious content that private modules provide easy access to, they could end up blocking Roblox as a whole, much like the United Arab Emirates did. As a result, Roblox could be losing upwards of hundreds of thousands of potential audiences, a much more serious impact than just a server of people being affected. Roblox wants to grow and accommodate more people across the globe, and protecting the children’s minds as best as possible is the way to go.

1 Like

But removing private models won’t completely stop the problem. Removing PMs won’t stop the problem. You could remove the whole site’s communications and it would still happen. You can try to patch features but it would still happen. There’s no one way to fix this issue. I think it’s more to do with how roblox was developed. If you look at another game, for example Minecraft, they have single player and multiplayer games, and people wishing to escape the danger of exploits on multiplayer would go to single player games, hence why minecraft appears safer then roblox. I’d say add a single player feature, however, roblox’s building is on roblox studio and testing is by default single player so I can’t really say how to do it.