Rendering fixes (January 2016)

The intention of the original change was to make popping in/out feel less weird. We can reevaulate and just disable this if enough people feel this hurts more than it helps.

2 Likes

Erk, the place is my plane testing game, which is an extremely complex place. I will see if I can repro this case in a simpler way.

SurfaceGuis seem to have a problem when you look at them from certain angels.

The position of these parts are roughly
(-100, 175, -800)

So not very far from origin

I can’t repro it for any other surface guis in the game though.

Can you attach or PM me a model with part of the level where this happens?

Yeah, this is because of the decals. They also apply a z-fighting fix and two fixes fight a bit. If you remove the decal it fixes itself. You can work around this in the meantime by using an ImageLabel instead of a Decal I believe…

I found the glich as well,
it is the use of a decal, with 0 transparency. A decal with > 0 transparency (even .001) fixes it.

The 2nd closest part uses a texture, which can be 0 transparency.

Any chance we’ll see SurfaceGuis respecting part transparency and neon effects any time soon?

1 Like

Decals don’t respect part transparency, so SurfaceGuis shouldn’t either. Both decals and SurfaceGuis have their own transparency properties that work independently of their parent part’s transparency.

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand what I’m talking about. At all.

Perhaps this image will clear things up.

6 Likes

Btw that textlabel is behind the neon brick, for the sake of clarification (I thought it was in front at first)

2 Likes

Oh. Yes, that is a much more severe issue.

I second this motion

3 Likes

Here is another side by side with all surfaces on all parts being SmoothNoOutlines except the back side of the left wall. It is much more noticeable in this picture.

Imgur

1 Like

Dang, I thought you had forgotten about the whole Tone Shifting thing.

It’s a weird system to remove it, but I can see the logic why people wouldn’t worry about it if Outlines are on anyways.

Basically, you either want to see parts visually distinct from each other (outlines on high quality, tone shifting on low quality), or you don’t. Since we already had API for both global and per-part customization, just treating tone shifting as a low-quality version of outlines made more sense than adding more APIs specifically for tone shifting.

This has happened recently (the problem wasn’t there when I made the CSG). This is a sphere mesh that has been hollowed out into a dome with two more entrances made for players to get inside. It is really black and neon and transparent and also has a texture on top to make it look nicer, but for some reason there are random protruding vertices and the top is really messed up.

That’s not a bug.
You have an inner inverted shell,and an outer shell.
When you make things transparent, roblox tries to layer it together.
For instance, here’s a combine helmet with a transparency of 0, and 0.001

As you can see, certain parts of the mesh became visible, that shouldn’t actually be visible.
This is kind of a bad example, but hopefully you get the idea.

I mean these random sticky out things

The lighting… howwww…
Post please cuz it’s beautiful. :grinning:

1 Like

Since this is still January and I’m too lazy to create another thread…

• Fog regression was fixed. Unfortunately this also reverted the fog animation fix. We’ll fix it once more in a later update!
  • (hopefully) ROBLOX should now use the dedicated GPU for NVidia Optimus and AMD PowerXpress systems.
  • Motor C0/C1 updates do not require rendering invalidation any more; this fixes geometry update issues and improves performance in Phantom Forces, Kart Racing and probably other games.
10 Likes