Request taken username

This exactly. Old, barely used account that have not been used much/at all won’t have anything important on them.

7 Likes

Also yeah maybe a request which would get approved or denied by an admin would also work, but there would probably be a lot of them to go through.

7 Likes

i think we should be able to take usernames that share the same email as the account that wants the username

i have an alt named Ash_Craft1337 but i cant change my username to that because i already claimed it via an alt account

11 Likes

Yeah. Some of those accounts are worth removing, but what happens to accounts in 2010, in 2020? What about accounts in 2014 in 2024? It’ll be an inconsistent issue because most accounts have items.

I just see this as a non-required idea. It’s not even beneficial for development.

1 Like

If those accounts are inactive, and are no different from default ones, they will be removed.

4 Likes

Depends on what you define as ‘required’. It could be beneficial to development and the whole Roblox experience because your name is how everyone recognises you, which is especially important if you’re making your name part of your brand on Roblox. For example, how there’s Berezaa Games, Ripull minigames, Person299’s minigames and stuff like that. Names are important.

9 Likes

First come first serve fam, the only thing I’d deem acceptable would be to transfer usernames from alt to main accounts at the usual name changing fee.

7 Likes

Okay, but… why? I don’t see how it wouldn’t be acceptable.

5 Likes

Recycling usernames is like a virtual death sentence only more dumberer; it won’t stop username squatters from just logging in every few years but might hurt players intending to return after a long while. I deem deactivating accounts for no reason (or vanity reasons like here) without explicit consent of the rightful owner unaccaptable.

3 Likes

Why not just have what blizzard & discord does? Anyone can take any username and just have the #XXXX numbers after that. Sure, it may get confusing for some users to understand if its the “real deal” but you can just exclude staff member names and have everything else for free taking. No one is going to confuse two different numbers.

4 Likes

I’d love this!
Personally my name would just be xuefei, but that name is taken and the account hasn’t been used for ages!

4 Likes

I mean, Roblox has the right to take any username and any account at any time. That’s what they signed up to. I don’t see your point when we’re talking about accounts that have no play time and have been inactive for years - very likely to be forgotten. Plus as mentioned, an email would be sent out to the attached email. If they don’t do anything about it, then they are likely to not come back. Even if they do, it’s one username they made years ago and did nothing with. It’d be put to better use, probably.

5 Likes

I feel like if we were ever going to release unused usernames we shouldn’t have allowed username changing. I personally own like 30+ usernames, and I doubt Roblox is going to take away usernames that people paid for.

As soon as usernames become available people will just buy them to add them to their active accounts and therefore keep them forever.

1 Like

Roblox does, but other players don’t. Recycling usernames is effectively some player taking your username at some given time, which is not what was signed up for, as usernames are non-transferrable.

It’s an incredibly short-sighted request anyway, for example: people shouldn’t be allowed to steal the usernames of historic figures such as Are92 or Miked or Clockwork or Koopa etc.

Once you’ve got your arbitrary ruleset as to what names can and can’t be taken, there’s the next hurdle of some guy just hoarding all of them or some guys automating hoarding all of them. Then they’ll make sure to have some yearly chron job log into the account and keep it forever. Which renders the entire endeavour pointless.

It’s okay to be very jealous of early birds. Just wait for the next legalized character in usernames, alright? Surely you’ll get your epic namesnipes then.

2 Likes

Could also do it like how Youtube does, for popular channels/users you’ll get a check mark by your name

3 Likes

I don’t really think you’re understanding what I’ve been saying. I don’t want people to take old, famous peoples’ names. I’m sure this can be done in a way that makes it difficult or impossible to hoard names. A few ways I could think of would be a higher cost in ROBUX, only transferable to active accounts or a limited amount of names you can take. I’m sure there’d be other ways, but I’m not one of the web engineers so I wouldn’t know what would be most effective.

Some people do want namesnipes, and that’s fine. A name like Script, or Bean (https://www.roblox.com/users/50488/profile) would be pretty cool, especially seeing it active instead of locked away for nobody to use. That would be an “epic namesnipe”.
In my case, the name Lightlim is taken. The reason that’s inconvenient was described in my OP.

I’m not to say how this feature should be executed, I’m just giving ideas - that’s what the Feature Requests category is for.

3 Likes

What about required to have veteran badge, and maybe a certain amount of place visits on your account?

2 Likes

Well, I’ve mentioned a few things that could determine if the name can be taken:

• Low total account playtime/time spent online
  • Time since last login
  • No 2-step authentication
  • No verified email
  • Email asking them to log in or the name will be taken
  • Can’t be a name someone bought as a previous username change

Also things to prevent hoarding and lots of namesniping:

• High account playtime
  • High ROBUX cost
  • Verified email
  • 2-step authentication
  • Logged in fairly recently
  • BC only?
  • One name transfer per account
7 Likes

They can give old, inactive accounts (that are verified) a warning that their accounts have a certain amount of time to be “reclaimed”, otherwise their usernames are swept and they have to choose a new username upon login.

8 Likes

I’d love to see a cleaning of inactive accounts on roblox, this is a great idea.

5 Likes