Response to code safety review discussion

Roblox has done EVERYTHING they can to prevent us, developers, from collecting players’ data. Only they can do it themselves efficiently and properly (they actually do). Can we track our players outside of our games? No. Even the info gained from in-game tracking would still be limited; there are not many profitable things to do with the data. No advertiser or market researcher is willing to buy them.

You have to be 13+ to use Discord and Trello. COPPA doesn’t protect 13+ users.

I stated very clearly that it was a mediocre example, and considering you didn’t reply to my second example, or even the post at large, shows that you cannot come up with a valid argument, in response to mine, as to why Roblox shouldn’t have access to view your places and its code.

Again, it’s about protecting people. That’s the whole point of moderation as a whole. The rules exist to protect Roblox as a company, and to protect you as the user, and other users around you. When you play on a platform that is dominated by children both under and over the age of 13 (I know 5 to 8 year olds that play this) you can expect (and rightfully should) Roblox to be incredibly in-depth in the processes they take to moderate games and users.

There are people who go to incredible lengths to take advantage of others, and discrediting Roblox’s authority to moderate their website by whatever means they want, with the argument that you are not one of these people who make malicious content, your discredit is not valid.

You asked what can make code malicious, and I gave you a valid answer. I could come up with a million more scenarios, but I’m sure you have an imagination of your own.

Honestly; I have stated so many things about this and you are only responding to the weakest link. What I am saying is going in one ear, and out the other.

I have to admit @Xelia4, you did have a pretty powerful argument there. A game owner could make something inappropriate - only accessible to himself, and it will only get shown when he/she is playing their game.

But there are some flaws with this system in general. Besides, there are some questions about this system that haven’t been answered by Roblox.

• How “specially-trained” is this team? Are they gonna know what they are doing? Will they give a second look at scripts that are flagged, or just trash them and swing the ban hammer right away? NickoSCP got a random account termination without warning in a very short period of time, which doesn’t look like this team is “specially-trained”. Or if it’s even a team at all.
  • Will moderators be able to steal code with a simple control+A? Or will copying be disabled when they view it? Copying code manually, without copying+pasting is a tedious process that usually isn’t worth doing.
  • Is Roblox going to put certain games or users on a whitelist to be exempt from the filter?

TLDR who thinks the code-reviewing system is perfect, terrible, or in the middle?

• The system is terrible.
  • The system isn’t completely bad but needs fixing and improvement.
  • The system is perfect.

0 voters

1 Like

The thing is, Roblox has been able to do this since the platform was made; and as far as we know, nothing bad has ever happened as a result of it. The “specially trained team” thing is just fancy talk (probably) for people who, in essence, have been given the authority to carry out this task (and have probably had that authority since the beginning of roblox). This likely falls to the senior administrators.

I seriously doubt moderators even really care that much about the content of your code. The thing is, most games run off of code that is specific to that game, and it cannot be adapted for any other purpose. When Phantom Forces got leaked, all of the programming was so in-depth and hardcoded to work with only itself (just because of how it was all written) that you would never be able to adopt it to make a different game, unless you had a million years. This is likely the case for a lot of games. And, even if they could be copied - Roblox has taken a pretty hardcore stance on games that are copied without permission; when Phantom Forces was leaked, ALL of the people who had a copy of it were immediately terminated. This is a case example of what happened a few years ago - it is likely most cases, especially in regard to front page popular games, are the same. So if code did get leaked by a moderator, I would expect any copies would be taken down, and that the moderator would probably be fired. Roblox employees follow an internal policy that we are not privy to, so it is likely that if they conduct this behavior, they can be fired on the spot.

As for your last point, It’s not really a filter. A review is a review; if your code contains malicious content, then Roblox will remove it. If it does not, then nothing would likely happen. It’s really important to define “malicious” here, and Roblox has said that is applies only to the most serious of offences. Which I can probably safely narrow down to:
-Sexual content, stories or comments
-Death threats
-Inappropriate notes
-Inappropriate script functions that work at the contrary of public safety

As for the poll - nobody will ever know if this system is working as intended. Roblox moderation is conducted behind closed doors, so we can never truly be the judge of whether it works or not - we can only apply our own experiences to it.

And as for the guy earlier that was terminated and unterminated over and over, we will never TRULY know the facts of his case. Did he break more rules? did he tell us the truth? did Roblox just screw him over? We will never TRULY know. Because that information is kept private. We only know his side of the story. And frankly, it’s hard to judge the situation.

1 Like

I mean, anyone on your dev team can do the same thing, which is far more likely to happen.

Yes, the possibility, however rare, exists that someone at Roblox could take or sell your belongings. Hell, people could steal anything from Roblox. The engineers that work for Roblox pretty much have access to anything they want. The possibility exists from so many different areas in the company that has access to the headquarters and servers that literally anything could happen.

Do soldiers steal fully automatic weapons and try to sell them? It’s happened before. Do cops tip off criminals before big busts are about to happen? It’s happened before. Do people who work for big companies steal when nobody is looking? it’s happened before. Is removing them from the ability to do this the best solution? For all of these examples, probably not. And you usually don’t hear about all of this. It’s usually handled internally.

The only thing stopping them is threat of losing their job; and to be honest, the people at Roblox get paid a pretty good salary, so I doubt they would risk losing that over selling someone’s Roblox game for a few hundred bucks (if you’re lucky).

And at the end of the day, the playerbase is usually smart enough to stick to the original game.

Roblox games might be your livelihood, but it sure as hell isn’t theirs.

Will it happen? probably not.

I think that the moderation team needs to be more transparent along with Customer Support in general, this can help to strengthen the relationship between the developers and staff.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree on this. It feels like appeals is just for restating that you’re banned and that they’re not actually reading the appeals.

3 Likes

I think the biggest and most tragic flaw of Roblox moderation is that few people trust it. If people could trust the moderation, this policy would have been better received.

6 Likes

“To make sure we get rid of all the bad guys, lets make sure we hurt the innocent people too.”

3 Likes

They really honestly should be punishing for false positives primarily and taking appeals more seriously…

This actually made me laugh. I don’t see many to any legal arguments. A huge argument here is that a moderator gave a hacker access to the admin panel after being bribed. Please don’t tell me that the moderator wasn’t a code reviewer, that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that if it happened to a moderator that easily, why shouldn’t it be able to happen to a code reviewer? We are extremely worried about our code, and the possibility of it being leaked, sold, and distributed by a corrupt staff member.

4 Likes

I could bribe a Roblox admin to ban you, and maybe it will work. Should we remove the ability for admins to ban people as the solution? It’s a slippery slope and it can go deeper and deeper.

The only way the problem can be solved is by Roblox’s internal policies to protect that of which they value. Bad apples will always get somewhere, and as a society we strive to make it difficult for them, stop them, or punish them for immoral or illegal actions.

1 Like

You can unban someone. You can’t un-leak someone’s code or un-break their trust.

1 Like

Why should I Trust people with my code? What are they going to do with it? How are they going to execute that? I am 1000% against this update, Why test the code, You can already test the game even when it isn’t public yet. This update is just getting people banned for no reason and i don’t like it.

2 Likes

Honestly, if Roblox moderation wasn’t so bad at punishing innocent users and NOT punishing malicious users, I wouldn’t think this update would be that bad. It might even be a step in the right direction, but not with the flaws it has currently.

2 Likes

But how do we know that all the users that claim to be innocent are? I remember during the recent ban wave a lot of people claimed to not have exploited when in reality they did.

1 Like

Roblox has the ability to look through their logs and look up their YouTube channels if they have one. I don’t like how they follow users around, but they do and it is sad that if you even do the slightest joke they will ban you, but if you exploit they will. These users can be proven by an investigation on weather they are innocent or not.

1 Like

I 100% agree with that. I think the problem is mainly within Roblox though and Roblox YouTubers are just people saying things. Roblox has no control over YouTube, and if they were to ban you simply because you said something offensive on YouTube, it would be a violation of free speech rights. I was simply saying that if that player was accused of having hacks, or Violating ToS, instead of blindly banning the player, they could at least check with REAL PEOPLE that it isn’t a mistake.

2 Likes

By uploading your code to a Roblox place, using a service made by someone and is controlled by someone who is not you, you are sharing your code with them.

If you are so concerned about the privacy of your code, you shouldn’t even put it on the internet in the first place. Roblox has never promised you privacy and this is clearly stated in the Terms of Service, which you accepted.

Everyone seems to be able to trust Roblox to give people Devex payments, but you can’t trust them to run their company internally? This is a double standard; Trust them or don’t; but don’t base your career around something that you don’t control if you have problems with privacy.

edit: my post from earlier:

6 Likes

If you went and created a game and decided to have it on the steam store, you bet your ass that in the Steam agreement, you give them access to inspect the contents of your game.

I know many of you might be too young for this, but the Hot Coffee variant of GTA: San Andreas is a notorious example of what happens when games go unchecked. Thankfully at the time, there was no middle-man that could be responsible for that, it all fell of Rockstar Games, because they both published and developed the game… They faced a whole bunch of lawsuits and lost millions of dollars after all was said and done. If Rockstar had even investigated their finished product before releasing it, none of that would have happened.

Roblox has the same responsibility. If somebody, somehow, some way, managed to create something that defaced Roblox as a company, or cost Roblox money, then the repercussions for them, and inevitably for all of us, would be a disaster.

This is why there is a Terms of Service. You agreed to it. You are responsible for what you do. if Roblox doesn’t like what you’re doing (for literally any reason), they have the right to take any action they want. Their responsibility is to protect their company first, and the independent developer second;,and the player third.

If you don’t like the terms of service, or refuse to acknowledge why Roblox has this responsibility, you honestly shouldn’t be involved in the platform at all.

4 Likes