Response to code safety review discussion

I’m not defending Roblox. I’m actually using Roblox to discard a defense of Roblox. Read closely. I flat out said “if we trust Roblox” and by now considering we’re two of the most prevalent posters on this issue, we should both know that neither of us meet that condition.

Also, it was a grammatical deconstruction of Roblox’s calculated response, which Roblox probably carefully worded to mean the deconstructed form and sound like something better than the deconstructed form.

So… from now on, we have to use alts to publish our games to see if they get flagged, than if they don’t we use our main accounts to publish them? Since Roblox bans you from Roblox studio if your account is terminated while logged into studio, we might have to use Hyper-V and create a virtual machine to test our games. Sounds normal to me :thinking:

1 Like

Once again, the content uploaded is the build of the game, not the source.

I think that is an opinion, and that you have no grounds to suggest that Roblox ever gave you that right.

Your scripts and build are both uploaded to roblox (otherwise your game wouldn’t work), and you can and will be held accountable for the contents of both if they break the terms of service.

Briefly reading through the history of the Hot Coffee mod, I found nothing relating to being able to view the source code of this game, and more of just the fact that players were able to do this. I found nothing about Steam through this, either. Mainly it was ratings Rockstar was worried about, and the game being pulled from shelves. Those stores do not and most likely never will view the source code of any game they sell.

Rockstar Games was taken to court over the matter. Remnants of code were left in the game files that allowed the players to enable a “sex simulator” by changing the configuration files. Because the code existed in the game and the player only had to enable it, Rockstar was held accountable by the federal courts (they appeared in front of congress as well), on behalf of the ESRB, and lost millions in civil cases.

1 Like

I never said it was for Roblox. I’m talking about Steam.

Roblox Moderation is like Twitch Moderation. Quite unfair at the moment. I luckily stopped developing on Roblox, or, to be more specific, playing a lot of games on Roblox in general.
Edit: Clarification for above: …which means I dont have to deal with moderation drama like this anymore.

My issue with Roblox is that I spend money on it. Now I feel like the money I invested into my account is held hostage and one wrong move could cause it to get erased.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t spend crazy amounts of money on it, maybe 60-80 bucks at max over a span of 4 years, but that doesn’t mean that that’s worthless to me.

3 Likes

I admit that I was very against this system at first, I actually think it is a step in the right direction. When you publish your game/assets to Roblox, you give them the right to use it, and of course, inspect it. They probably have done this for a long time (though I’m not sure if they did it a lot back then) and it’s the least intrusive way to find/delete harmful content.

It’s only their horribly broken Moderation system that needs to be fixed. This system is only one part of it. In fact, their moderation system is probably the biggest flaw on the platform.

1 Like

Good to know, for some reason I thought it was to block swear words in the code

1 Like

If you, for example, uploaded a game to Steam that broke their terms of service, I am 90% sure that Steam has the right to inspect your games source to determine if it is in compliance with their rules.

Since it’s on their servers, they can do that.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if the ESRB has the right to do that, given they are sponsored by several governments internationally.

The only way to circumvent this would be to have your own launcher that is not accessible by Steam or any other host directly; you upload your game to your users computers via your own servers. (Warthunder or Star Trek Online is perhaps the best example)

2 Likes

To be fair. I believe having swear words in your code is against ToS. It’s like justifying crime just because nobody say you do it. What’s the point of swearing in your code anyway? It’s not necessary.

It sometimes is. For example, if you are to make a custom chat filter, you would have to list swear words that are supposed to be tagged out when a player says it in-game.

1 Like

As has been reiterated many times, Roblox is not after users adding an extra (not replacement) filter.

They were against two apparently and no staff has yet to state why they were.

2 Likes

Probably because you’re ranting on the forum, hurling abuse towards C&S instead of using the systems in place to appeal bans.

Appeals isn’t perfect, but demanding explanation and being abusive and entitled isn’t the way to get a meaningful reply.

Did you not see my post stating that I tried to appeal 8 times over code reviewal? Of course I was upset on why action wasn’t taken any faster in over 4 months of my account being terminated without heads up and then my account unterminated and terminated out of the blue and still no mention from Roblox Staff till approx two days after my second retermination.

I’ve finally got my message from a staff about it and confirmed to be unterminated now, but it didn’t explain of anything or what was in my code that was deemed too dangerious for Roblox.

4 Likes

If Roblox hasn’t sent you a response, then that kind of sucks for you.

But you have to remember, Roblox will not discuss cases about other people, especially publicly. You have a right to privacy just like everyone else, Roblox will not discuss the specifics of a case between Roblox and a Customer because that is a breach of Privacy.

Instead they will make a post that defines their rules. The fashion in which they do that is up to them, though.

I’m just asking for Roblox to explain as to why someone’s code got flagged or what Roblox exactly seems dangerous in code that a user actually has to be terminated over it? I’m not asking into full detail onto anything and it feels more like Roblox can’t even tell me myself on what content in a drag and drop game needed to warrent an instant termination of my account.

2 Likes

Ok, it seems like you are asking a few questions:

1. What could possibly be so dangerous that Roblox decides to terminate a user?

A couple examples:

• Phishing scripts
  • Scripts that spawn sexual or grotesque content
  • Scripts that use external services that are not allowed
  • Scripts that could contain comments that are generally unacceptable in nature (IE: Death threats, inappropriate fantasies or stories)
  • Literally anything that a script can make that goes against the Terms of Service, that cannot be viewed by looking at the workspace.
  1. Why hasn’t Roblox specifically told me why I was terminated a dozen times?

I honestly don’t have the answer to that. Perhaps they made a mistake and chose not to acknowledge it and just undo the termination. Perhaps they terminated you based on an internal policy that has since been revised. But unless they say something, you will never know. And chances are whatever reason they actually do have is not an answer you’re going to want to hear, since they’ve been so unwilling to share it.

1. Why has Roblox banned someone else (who is not me)? What was in their place that was so bad?

Again, a privacy issue. They will not tell you, or the public, why they took moderation action against one account. This is why Roblox does not allow you to post on behalf of others, because it is a violation of privacy to share that with anyone who is not the recipient. The reason other people get banned is between Roblox and the person. We have nothing to do with it.

People will often go on rants saying “roblox banned me unfairly!!” and then because Roblox doesn’t respond to it in a public thread, people will just harp on Roblox. Everyone has a right to privacy and Roblox respects that.

It’s just…you can get banned for having a stronger chat filter. Plus if you’re using print no one sees the dev console except a select few people.

1. Thoes reasons are perfectly alright but no where near the level of severity that was even in my script.

2 (devforum bullet issue, blank)

1. I would be full on willing to sign a contract to give up my privacy rights to just to be able to know the status of my own account… Am I able to ever consider DevEx-ing in the future over this mistake or am I going to get terminated instantly on another mistake? It’s better to know information like that then stroll through a forest of uneasy moderations again that feels like it won’t change. Same with some other people here that wants to know why their own account has been affected and to some people who still have yet to get help to appeal their account through the tedious appeals system.
1 Like

I recommend you get in touch with someone from the Developer Relations Team to see if they can get some answers for you. If the moderation team won’t tell you themselves.

But really I think this belongs in a different thread; this isn’t a place to criticize Roblox for their poor moderation - it’s a place to discuss their right to review the code in your places.