Retiring PointsService

:frowning: Iā€™ll miss my over 9000 points in work in a pizza place.

14 Likes

I thought this was killed off years ago! Apparently just deprecated. Adios, PointsService.

14 Likes

I thought this was removed sometime in 2021, as I never saw notifications for Player Points anymore. Itā€™s odd how it took so long to remove a feature that barely anyone used.

3 Likes

noooooooo :sob:

rip pointsservice you will be rememberedā€¦

2 Likes

This is the end of an era of Roblox points services is that day

2 Likes

Imagine what Points could look like today, and the leaderboards addition. I think this sounds great!

3 Likes

Nooooooooo
Ok, I know they are useless but it was still funny to see them pop up when playing older games

5 Likes

Honestly I kinda liked points lol. More of nostalgic reasons though. How ever it is understandable why you guys are going to remove them. I also feel bad for all of the games that currently use points. This might mess of a lot of old classic games however.

8 Likes

Oh no! This is a sad moment, but itā€™s well-needed. Iā€™m glad to see Roblox clearing out the attic and taking a step forward into the future by removing points while also giving developers a workaround the sufficient opportunity to migrate existing data into that workaround.

Well executed!

3 Likes

but why? pointsservice was an ultimately useless feature ever since leaderboards were removed. There isnā€™t a reason not to do this, at the end of the day this will mean less total bloat. Unlike genre filters there was nobody who actually had a reason to use this and Iā€™ll bet that 9/10 people you ask will have no idea what this is. In fact when I read this announcement my first thought was ā€œWait, those still exist?ā€.

2 Likes

:saluting_face:

Thanks for the support and transparency on this. I like how Roblox did this.
Iā€™d like to see more old services going to be honest- while sad, Iā€™d imagine thereā€™s so much clutter.

2 Likes

can Roblox servers trigger OpenCloud APIs through a proxyā€¦?

The APIs wonā€™t return errors. So I think your game will be fine.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

I though points were removed years ago. I guess the more you know.

1 Like

RIP Roblox points, you were apart of my childhood in one way or another.

Iā€™m not surprised that this service is being discontinued now. Honestly, I forgot points existed entirely and only remember them from an older age of Robloxā€“ignoring that they still largely didnā€™t have a real purpose than a simple number and none of my friends mentioned them. I appreciate the modernization of the platform and replacing bloat with new features. While legacy games are not played often, keeping them functional when bloat is inevitably removed is definitely welcome for us who like to be nostalgic about the past!

1 Like

Wow, I never thought Iā€™d actually see this day come. Itā€™s been a graceful past 9 years.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad Roblox is taking back compatibility this seriously, even for features that many developers havenā€™t touched for years.

5 Likes

I think with this being removed most games from under 2016 are going to break right? or am I just being dumb

1 Like