Right to Erasure request on a game with API access disabled?

Sorry if the category is incorrect, I’ll change it if necessary

Hey developers!

I received my first right to erasure request a few days ago, and the game the request is for has API access disabled and 0 references to the DataStoreService. Is this still something I need to be concerned about?

On the other hand, I have some questions about the Right to Erasure requests.

1. If a developer doesn’t notice a message and doesn’t remove the data, is this a bannable and/or legal offense?
  2. Is there any default Roblox system that automatically removes data associated with the specified user ID?

Thanks!

1 Like

If you use some sort of an admin system they may use these datastores. If not, I’m not even sure if Roblox systems check if the player has DataStore data on that game or not, I’d say very likely, systems don’t check that. Before datastores v2 update, it wasn’t even possible to attach user ids to datas.

I haven’t seen anyone getting banned for this but you should not ignore them. I can’t talk about the legality much but afaik, companies have to comply to right of erasure laws in most countries so logically devs are also required to comply, however I’m not sure if this requirement is legally. I’m not a lawyer.

No but Roblox has shared some guides on automating those.

For future features I strongly recommend using datastore tags, especially the UserId in case that Roblox starts to automate those.

Alright thanks. I am just a bit worried as in some of my older games data is stored without using userids and only using player names.

It’s ok, Roblox didn’t say that they would automate those anyways. It was a guess (also they have in their posts about datastores v2).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.