RightGrip Mass Replication Exploit Crashing Servers

Now that I think about it this could be due to the fact that you are doing this 100 at a time which could cause my code to call ClearAllChildren 200 times at once which would loop through all 100 children at once which would cause 200,000 Destroy calls? I’m not sure I’ll have to do some testing and see how things behave when parenting multiple welds at once, however my script does ensure the existence of only one weld, and in fact completely isolates the weld from existing on the client, so what you’re saying just isn’t possible.

You may rename hat handles and tools handles to completely stop players from creating RightGrips. Only problem is that you’d have to script a custom tool-weld script to replace the default one. The thing is they need the Weld’s Part1’s Part’s name to be “Handle” for it to replicate.

There hopefully will be a reasonable fix next week or so that doesn’t affect most places.Welds have weird logic. When FE was introduced, Tools would appear somewhere and have a noticeable lag in teleporting to your character. An exception was made for Welds with some basic filtering. Mostly based on the Name. The filtering was expanded at one point.

Any issues in the filtering cause the server to reject the Weld. This meant that tools not picked up from the Workspace (or otherwise server equipped) would appear on the client for about three seconds. The no-collide (and un-welded) Tool fell to the kill plane on the server and the server removed it.

The upcoming patch intendeds to add more filtering checks for creation and re-parenting of Welds. It also limits the number of Welds created by the client to one per Tool. Note that this is not an allowance – if the Tool does not need a Weld created by the client, the server may reject the unexpected Weld. This should fix this and a couple other related-cause exploits.

There may be additional changes to this topic in the future.

5 Likes

I cloned your game and put the script in. I joined with my alt, and the server crashed when the code executed.

Can confirm this is happening, causes ping to skyrocket to 1500+

@ConvexHero
I’m being targeted and this attack is really putting a dent into my players, anyway to prevent this?

If you look at the 2nd post of the thread I posted a temporary fix until ROBLOX completely fixes it.

EDIT: It’s not perfect but it gets the job done.

1 Like

Can confirm, I saw this error before my server dying.

1 Like

We should have a fix for this ready at the end of next week. Thank you for your patience.

11 Likes

Just gonna note that this is not a fool-proof solution, and the exploiter can get by this with 1 line and doing things a bit differently.

EDIT: It’s not perfect but it gets the job done.

And I’m more than happy to hear about how they bypass it.

I have been having this for months on my games and I just deleted the Status in Humanoid since nothing on my game was using it.

1 Like

That’s a smart idea. LoadLibrary doesn’t exist anymore, so the Status object (for the RbxStatus library) is effectively useless. A useless object that can crash your server is not something to keep around.

1 Like

I don’t think “Should” is a solution… It is still happening

1 Like

I can confirm this works, thank you. Hopefully Roblox creates a update so not everyone has to put a script into their place to secure the stability of their game.

1 Like

We have a fix ready to be deployed, but would like to test it on places impacted by this exploit first before turning it on for everyone. If you are actively being impacted by this exploit, please send me a direct message of the ID of your place you’d like the fix to be enabled for.

cc @Nimblz @Sudden_Demise @anon66957764 @MetatableIndex @reet15 @NachtHemd @zaytuls @t1dtony @HonokaSakurai

1 Like

I’ve put a patch script in for the game, do you want me tor remove it and send you my place ID?

Yes, please. I’d like to verify this fix works for real games before turning it on for the entire platform.

Alright, I’ll remove the patch script then give you the ID.

1 Like

I forgot that I already removed the patch script, here is my game link: [SOON!] 🥪 Work at a Restaurant - Roblox