Roblox’s Algorithm Changes Are Killing Our Game

For the past year, it’s sad to see that despite the amount of effort I put into making games and the amount of money I invest into advertising, it feels like the current algorithm of ROBLOX is making it more of a hit or miss rather than giving my new games the chance in growing an audience and popularity.

Looking at all the posts in this thread I find it alarming to find out that a lot of professional ROBLOX game developers, myself included, who make a living out of ROBLOX, feel pushed into a corner with little to no things to do to increase their game’s survival rate because of the new algorithm. We’re left hoping that the algorithm gives our higher performing games a chance alongside the many clickbait and low-quality games… Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

7 Likes

The sad reality of this thread seems to be a continuous line of developers echoing themselves over a detrimental change to the platform we weren’t informed about.

It appears now that regardless of the amount of time, effort and creativity invested into making a game, a proliferation of clickbait titles for some reason are pulling more engagement, attention and (in the long running of everything,) revenue than carefully piecing together & properly designing games with a thought and intent behind each mechanic and feature solely because of the current state of the algorithm

Like mentioned by persistent here, it’s becoming harder and harder to grow an audience regardless of how much you can invest into promoting the game as the algorithm is seemingly oblivious to most of the metrics provided on the pages, hence the reason all of the clickbait titles are at the forefront of ROBLOX.

The situation we’re all in is making it outright confusing and stressful to compete on the platform as its not direct on what does benefit our game, even though it has said to be this, and disproved by developers in this thread:

With the amount of people voicing their concerns and perspectives over this algorithm change, I expect to see more changes that will benefit us in the long run instead of throwing experiments about that can critically damage a game’s playerbase.

14 Likes

Of course it looks like Roblox will continue to ignore these issues plaguing the site after a cookie cutter response.

GGs everyone.

Been a fun 15 years developing on Roblox.

13 Likes

It doesn’t just have to do with monetization. My game is getting pushed down under new games with lower like to dislike ratios, zero playercount so no chance for monetization, and absurdly low visits. My game, a medieval group roleplay game with over 50k visits is listed BELOW a game called Jurassic World Texas which only has 4.3k visits and no gamepasses and this is when you search KINGDOM. If it was you need to monetize or you won’t be recommended that would be bad enough, but at least you could optimize monetization and get your game recommended more often, however there is no rhyme or reason to this new system whatsoever, so Roblox may end up actually losing money. This makes me feel like whatever I do I will be unable to get out to as many players as I should be getting. Due to this I have to update major things at least every few days if I want to keep my players engaged to make the most of the little acquisition of new players I do get.

Lots of clickbait tycoons with Minecraft thumbnails and stock image obbies also show up when you search kingdom. Who would be engaged with games where the developers put in such little effort? The 800 toddlers that joined from Roblox forcing these games to be shown when you search any keyword. Though these players wouldn’t be useful long term and would probably quit right after joining my game it pushes my game down further so those that may actually be interested can’t see it which is incredibly frustrating.

(Edit) Now that I am looking for it I saw this game has several thousand players. That doesn’t make any logical sense that such a poorly thought out game could perform so well.

3 Likes

If you will keep sponsoring the game means the higher chances that it will double player visits each hours, happened to me and game blow up before roblox accident :sob:

Can you elaborate on this pleease

Does the amount you put into the sponsorship have any effect? For example would a constant 10 robux sponsor make my game a good amount higher in the recommendations?

where do you see these stats???

1 Like

From the game page, click the "view analytics’ link, then I saw this on the Overview page

Woohoo, 10 players! Go me!

i cant see this why??? char limit

I guess it depends on how many visits you get, I have another one with nothing there:

1 Like

bro wym i got 50m visits :sob::sob::sob::sob: limit

2 Likes

I don’t know then, the links just take you to this page anyway:

Maybe changing the algorithm to promote garbage was a bad idea? :thinking:

15 Likes

Our game Pet Rift is diying because the game get less new players, in few day our new players got divided by 4! (2k → 500) few weeks ago we were at 20k new players per day then roblox change their algorithm

9 Likes

This needs to be escalated. This is evidently a pretty big problem if many of the platform’s top developers are complaining

8 Likes

We are seeing so many people just like this that are hitting all the criteria Roblox claims will help with discoverability. Yet, you are forced out weeks later. This exact thing happened with our new game with our acquisition, one day out of nowhere. We hit around 2k concurrent now we sit around 500, while previously having great performance at our peak in almost every stat.

• If you are accomplishing the goals they are setting, why is it not enough for the algorithm?
    Is discoverability affected if you’re not at the high end on every single stat compared to the top 500-1000 benchmarks? Being way above or in the middle doesn’t seem to even matter according to these stats.

• Is there a timer set as soon as you don’t meet a certain stat? How long do you have to fix the low stat?

• Why does it seem like every single new experience has a few weeks of being discovered and it’s cut to 1/4? While we may not know their stats, it seems like that doesn’t matter here anyways.

There are people who rely on you - you are hurting our careers.

This. Is. An. Issue.

9 Likes

If there is one aspect of Roblox I can confidently say has regressed significantly over the years, it is the discoverability.

As a developer who has been on the platform since 2008, and over the years have made games that reached the very top of the games page multiple times, the process of getting there has become near impossible in modern day.

Of course, you can argue that there’s more competition, more games, more of an audience…

• But the discoverability makes zero sense.
  • The discover page genres make no sense.
  • The prioritization of certain genres while excluding others on the home page makes no sense.
  • The algorithm (seems) to make no sense.

It truly feels like today’s chances of your game going ‘viral’ is based on the draw of a card.

1. The discover page categories make no sense:

In prior eras of the discover page, the discover page categories made sense and worked as their title implied. The game that possessed the most amount of concurrent players at the time was at the top of the ‘Popular’ category, the second placed at number two, etc. etc. The current ‘Popular’ category does not do that.

For example, why is this game, “Livetopia”, which has over 40k+ concurrent users in this screenshot, behind countless games that have less than 10k+ concurrent? Some even as low as 1-4k? (note: had to zoom out just to get a picture of the top to bottom)

Why is this game, specifically, being punished with (poorer) discovery when it is outperforming majority of games that are placed in front of it? Is this not the Popular category? With 40k players, shouldn’t this be near the top? Popular category makes zero sense, and there is no longer an incentive to try and bring a lot of players into your game in hopes to make it onto ‘Popular’, because apparently even with 40k players, it guarantees nothing.

Now let’s look at the ‘Top Rated’ category, which is, based on the name, implied to be a sort of the top rated by game rating. So you should expect to see the top around 90%+, some 80%, maybe occasionally some 70%.

Why is a game with less than 60% rating even being algorithmically placed this high up on Top Rated? Why is it being given priority over games that have 90%+?!

If you scroll down further onto Top Rated, you will find tons of fairly high CCU games with 80-90%+ approval ratings that, for some reason, are punished placement wise. You will also see a plethora of games that do not fit the category ‘Top Rated’ that are prioritized higher than what is actually, well, top rated.

I could go on, but for the sake of post length, I’m going to address the other issues I see with discoverability. But to sum up point number 1, there is zero incentive for developers. There is no accurate placements of “Popular” or “Top Rated”. You have zero incentive to create a highly rated, quality game because you are going to be outplaced by games that have far lower ratings.

1. The prioritization of certain genres while excluding others on the home page makes no sense:

Why are such niche genres consistently promoted on home pages? Don’t get me wrong, I am very happy for the developers who create games that fit niche genres, and I think they deserve to be promoted. The key term here is consistently promoted. There’s little to no cycling of genres on the home page. It’s always the same genres: “Platform Obby”, “Real-World Roleplay”, “Idle Games”. I 100% believe these should be promoted occasionally, but they are consistently promoted on the home page and other games are left in the dust. A much more optimal solution would be consistently cycling these genres, and bringing in others, maybe daily or even weekly.

Furthermore, the amount of games presented in these genres are unnecessarily lacking while the real supply is great, and rarely ever do new games get added to them.

For example: Why are there only four games under this category? Getting any of those two spaces would help out any developer. There are TONS of Real World Roleplay games. So why only four?

1. Conclusion: The algorithm (seems) to make no sense.

To sum it up, if your game explodes out of nowhere, majority of developers will still never see the “Up-And-Coming” sort placement even if they make the requirements. If you worked very hard and delivered a top quality game that thousands of people love, giving you a 90%+ game rating, majority of developers will be punished and placed far below games that have far poorer reception. If your game is the most popular game on Roblox at a certain time, you’re not even guaranteed the top slot of the ‘Popular’ category.

As developers, we see these sorts and think of them as a ‘goal’. When you look at the ‘Popular’ category, you think, “Okay, if I can make my game popular, it can gain traction and move up the charts” (like the old discovery system). Instead, we are resorting to pouring millions of robux into sponsored ads that have been absolutely slaughtered in impact in recent times and paying content creators in hopes their coverage will make the Roblox algorithm pull us out of the bunch when majority of devs are far qualified yet unfairly treated. Big YouTube stars and content creators should compliment growth that had already occurred naturally, not be the only potential chance of going viral initially because the algorithm itself is so poorly performing and has unfeasible barriers of entry.

The discovery page has regressed significantly, there is no ‘pathway’ to the top anymore unless you’re lucky. It does not help when our options of marketing have been significantly impacted as well, almost worthless.

Edit: typo fix - and further comment: the original ‘Popular’ game discovery mechanic (from years ago) worked well because you were rewarded with a spike in players. Games would climb to the front page because as they boosted in player count, they were “moving up the charts” → more players find it, are intrigued, play → move up charts again → repeat. This whole ‘cycle/random assortment’ system for the “Popular” sort stagnates growth and discourages organic growth.

22 Likes

Everyone on this thread has done enough talking that I don’t feel the need to explain more, but I completely agree with them.

Why are we being left in the dark on something we rely so heavily on?

2,000+ employees and a whole team “dedicated to helping us”, and not a single response here from Roblox.

My game just recently has been affected by search discoverability. Our game has been consistent for 3 years now and then recently we got sudden drop. Almost 1/2 the impressions from search as we originally received. I think one can assume that this leads to a drop in DAU, New Users, and MAU which will probably hurt us in your algorithm even more.

9 Likes

They replied once. But the response isn’t enough. We need action.

6 Likes