Roblox 2019 Events Update

I believe that live-op events aren’t a bad idea. However, removing seasonal events, especially ones that cause lots of community engagement and are very memorable such as the Egg Hunts, doesn’t seem like a good move.

I understand that Roblox is trying to make the platform more and more community-oriented by trying to make ways for developers to gain recognition. This ideology is great in my opinion, but the execution was flawed, as shown by this Egg Hunt, which showcases games that are on the front page and don’t really need a boost.

The monthly events could go, they were repetitive and unnecessary. Instead, THOSE events could be replaced by these live-ops, which are a much better way of showcasing work done by smaller developers (when executed properly).

Majority of users aren’t upset about the concept of live-ops, but rather the fact that you’re removing a great part of Roblox that many players enjoyed. During these Egg Hunts, you can easily notice how the community comes together and they have fun. There wasn’t a lot of criticism on the last few Egg Hunts, which is rare for this community. Live-ops and seasonal events can certainly coexist.

6 Likes

IMO the Egg Hunt is flawed because it’s another devhunt. From experience, it isn’t really fun, you’re usually just waiting on RNG for the event map. IMO the reason they did a devhunt again is that they are too lazy to make another game. Really sad because the last two were really nice. With this egg hunt, Roblox is taking a couple steps back from the steps forward 2018 and 2017 were.

I have heavily protested this update, but if all the events are as bad as this one was (no hate to the devs, it wasn’t their fault that it way this way), I guess losing seasonal events won’t be that bad… Sad that they had to end it on this note

2 Likes

Mhm, I have to agree these events weren’t as great. I hate the parts that involved more time to waiting and effort of team work (not everyone can get a half-decent team). Because of this, not everyone can get an event item and I wouldn’t mind losing events like this. However, this is probably the only event in a while with a critical down rate. In my opinion, this year’s event was slacky and lazy. Like uhh… get eggs to uhh… close the portals, certainly a perfect “story line”. Now, no hate to the developers since they probably weren’t fully on this besides actually making it come to life however, it is just lazy. I think it just wasn’t worth many of the peoples’ time.

So really, I mean, if this event is this bad and not worth peoples’ time, they wouldn’t care at all about the removal of events. But because this is probably the only one event critically down rated in a while, I am pretty optimistic for some other events that would come in the future. Of course, the corporate just had to remove it so really, all we can do is enjoy the last event.

1 Like

Why can’t we have events and Live-Ops together?

10 Likes

I hosted a poll on the Roblox Wikia regarding this subject. The results can be seen below. Link.

Over 200 people voted for a mix of the two systems. Only 4 people voted for the standalone live-ops system. That’s 1.5% of all the people that voted at the time of posting (the votes are valid and are per person).

Why doesn’t Roblox try a mix of both monthly/seasonal events and live-ops? Both systems can boost developers while still engaging with the community and providing unique prizes.

24 Likes

Considering, roblox put egg launchers on sale for 500 golden eggs, which is VERY cheap. You can expect from roblox to remove events. Because I think roblox gave everyone the chance to get your very own egg launcher in roblox egg hunt 2018 and shoot out some eggs, because egg launchers are very expensive. Like I said in one of my previous posts, it is very sad to see events go, even though roblox can see how much harm it would cause. It’s also not a clever idea to give out egg launchers for that cheap, egg launchers were an admin exclusive thing in my opinion, and they should’ve stayed that. I remember me meeting admins across yearly egg hunts. And Night (Another roblox admin) is now the last admin I will meet in egg hunt.

Thank you, for giving me a good time when events were on, I’ve always spent time on these events to get great stuff out of it, after that I combined and mixed these items with other items together.

And hopefully roblox staff will see this thread, like @DonutsIndeed mentioned already.

:heart:

5 Likes

That is what 99% (I hope is accurate) is trying to figure out!

2 Likes

That’s precisely why the launcher had it’s value diminished, everyone saw the status in that launcher therefore everyone wanted to obtain it. It’s a marketing gimmick which practically confirms that this update isn’t being reversed.

Since as a company sacrifices have to be made and unless their annual sales are directly impacted by this decision than it isn’t being reverted.

Can I just simply state how not everything should be available to everyone… a large proportion of the 50 games chosen for the hunt hadn’t been Easter themed nor had a large proportion been quality. Some particular features should remain exclusive for a reason to keep the expectations of development high rather than lowered.

6 Likes

The 500 eggs was a mistake. It was later changed to 50k but the damage has been done.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind this update as much if you let developers award hats/gear as prizes in their games. Not only would people be a little more supportive of this update if that were to happen, but A LOT more people would participate in these live-ops events if you could win something for your character.

3 Likes

I honestly find it surprising that we got no word from Roblox staff after 434 (or 435 if you count this reply) replies. Huh.

Anyways, I really disagree with the removal of Roblox events, as that was one of the few ways some individuals can get free items and developers won’t have the power to award people with accessories/catalog items. I do especially disagree with the seasonal events being removed, as it’s a long lasting tradition on Roblox that many people enjoy (myself included, it was really special for me and still lives on with me many years later) and was a good way to get the community connected. And I do not see how this is (if this is the reasoning) a good business move to cut costs, as far as I know, developers were no longer paid to make events a while ago and only got money from in-game monetization.

Liveops does sound promising as it allows more unknown games to be showcased, but it shouldn’t replace monthly events

13 Likes

Surprised me as well. Biggest backlash I’ve seen in years, and they aren’t saying a single word.

General Baszucki, you are a bold one!

11 Likes

This is a pretty huge letdown honestly. I’m in agreement with the people suggesting a mix between the events, and I really hope changes are made to allow seasonal events to continue as is.

3 Likes

We have approximately, 8 in a haft Months left before this decade ends and Roblox has removed so much features over the 2010s as whole.
in my opinion it safe to say Rthro was the Rebrand for the 2019 Trailer as (Events) was a long-time running feature for 11 Years that could of lasted up to 20 years but was now Obsolete in Today’s Terms of Roblox.
Although I’m going to miss Events this will cause New Players to be limited to clothing as the damage was already done during the tix removal.
Lastly I look forward to seeing Roblox becoming more Advanced in the 2020s as we close up the 2010s in the coming months.

4 Likes

This doesn’t bode well for the future of the platform. It’ll be more advanced to the point it will be rivalizing with game engines, but at the same time, there’s something very off.

6 Likes

Most of these replies are focusing on a single line mentioned from this update about the removal of events, and that is cause for concern. I see no reason to get rid of events even with @buildthomas’s personal perspective through the eyes of Roblox (who mind you, should not have to be defending this decision on Roblox’s behalf), but I am more than in favor of this new data-driven strategy provided to us. As EA states in the article, “our growing live services have fundamentally changed our business model, resulting in a more stable and predictable cash flow, all year round.” I’ll most definitely be participating in this.
Still,
You promised us one thing Roblox, which I am grateful. But you managed to overshadow a great opportunity to promote the developer community by removing a rather beloved tradition. These decisions without us in mind are just fueling resentment and are most prevalent here, in these very forums.

5 Likes

Exactly! I could say it is quite obvious. Winning in-game items through Live-Ops events? Good enough. Winning catalog items? Good enough. Winning both? Would be perfect!

1 Like

Hmmm, let’s see what happens when this update is live and when it’s Halloween or Christmas. Look out for activity comparison between that time and the previous years.

Maybe someone collect the data and prove if this update is backlashing or, the unexpected, it actually improves the community.

4 Likes

The annoying thing right now is, tying back to my other post, Roblox is pulling an Apple and completely ignoring us. This is what frustrates me, and most likely there rest of the community, the most. And no, this is not a move of boldness; rather, that of cowardice (in my eyes at least).

If only Roblox proved why Live-ops are better with charts of data instead of just stating the fact and calling it a day. This change will not only affect many Youtubers who use events as their main source for making videos (even some of your video stars use events for a lot, if not all, of their videos), but the countless, nonpaying majority of players.

By just ignoring us like this, it shows your current inability to be a transparent, welcoming platform for developers. The thing that makes other platforms so welcoming is that the platform developers are basically one with the developers.

Also, I just wanted to let you know it’s not too late to turn back (although it is very unlikely you will). Heck, even Xbox reverted their stupid changes with the Xbox One shortly after release due to the uproar, and look at them today! Still afloat and thriving.

Roblox, if you are to do anything in regards to this, please respond to the countless developers and players on this matter and prove why Live-ops are so great. No player is going to want to read an external article on it: They want to hear it from you.

Roblox, you are the platform we all have come to love. Please return that love to us.

9 Likes

Whenever I’ve ever released a game, that’s gotten popular or what not (if any), I’ve always found that people play them because they’re in the featured tab or because a youtuber has found it and brought their following on to play it. With live-ops, it’s seems to do more harm than good. Personally, the current “Featured Sort” system is excellent. It gives a month or so to a set of relevant games that are not only deserving of general consumer attention, but even Roblox’s attention, but live-ops seems like a knock-off attempt at that with shorter promotion time.

From being a child myself, as most people have been, people forget that our attention spans can be very small, and if this new system advertises a game once every month, for 24 hours, then some might question the purpose of this new approach. Is this update really more focused on player retention on one game or player retention on all games ?

Moving on…

Leading onto the big elephant in the room, Why are roblox taking their big-earning events out of the pasture in favour of a knock-off featured sort? Surely that’s a huge set back for the player base and all those potential players that could have been on playing the next egg hunt, or next halloween trick or treat game. From a view as a developer, and as a consumer, I can only see a few possible reasons why:

The reasoning I’m putting my bets on…

Roblox likely listened to overall player feedback on past events and/or correlated said feedback with retention statistics they have and have responded by removing events. Of all of them, this seems the most likely and while it is definetly unfair to burn down the house to smoke out a rat, they can’t risk losing their player retention levels on the platform due to one tiny bug in a game the community is focused on at a time. Obviously in our view, this is not the case, because we, as developers, work excessively hard to make sure a game is not only playable, but enjoyable in the long run so that way people will continue to play our games. However, from a consumer point of view, anything from a destructive bug that hasn’t been fixed, to the toxic attitude of a community can just as easily put them off playing the game, if not joining at all. A sad truth, but one we all have to live with and hopefully prevent from being the case.

There are also likely other benefits for the business/financial/managerial side of roblox that are likely not publicly discussed for self explanatory reasons, but it seems very obvious from the reaction of older/mid-age players that this is a feature that they’ll miss, specifically only the brighter parts of the events, rather than the parts they didn’t enjoy. The concept of a monthly event is good, but I feel it is becoming increasingly important with this increasingly expansive community, how that concept is executed on the main page, and especially the time taken to perfect that concept. Roblox are a business and are usually stuck to a timetable to execute said concepts, and fixed time limits can lead to rushing. Issues can arise from the stress of completing in time, which can mean that a game isn’t fully perfected in time for release. Thus, I’d fully understand why they’d remove the normal events, as it gives the big event developers more time to work on their final craft, but removing the big events as well is beyond me.

After looking at the post a second time, they’re also not offering a way to award players with catalog items, which is utterly ridiculous considering the decreased allotment of promotion you’d get a month.
From my view, it is not very cost effective for us, as it all it does is reduce the potential player count we can get. When a game is promoted by an event, there is usually a stagnant leap in player count, following the introduction of that item, with a continued rise in player count until the majority of people have the item, or the event has finished. From there, player count will slowly decrease to normal figures, if not higher (hoping that the developer updates the game repetitively). However, with this new system, you get 24 hours of promotion. The spike you’d get initially from the start of live ops, from players joining your game for the item, would thus not exist.

In comparison…

Assuming we are comparing two fully identical, christmas themed, games with a quest to get an item, where one version of the game follows the events model, which is promoted for a month and gives the item at the end of the quest, and the other version follows the live ops model,which is promoted for 24 hours and gives nothing at the end on the platform, you can predict the way their player count drops and rises, and you can also get a good idea of retention in this period, and plot them on a graph.

(P.S - This graph is made up of predictions, and it assumes that both games are the exact same and have the same player count at the start, and are promoted at the same time, and exist in separate universes. It also assumes that the content in each game are the exact same, with the only change being that one offers an item on roblox and the other ingame. The graph also assumes 10,000 players as a max (i didn’t have room to put it in properly without being unclear), so if it peaks at 10,000, its likely goes higher)

(P.P.S - The graph is based on a hunch again, and player count for events are predicted based on experience from seeing them on the front page and from being a player myself. They are not based off any figures as I didn’t have access to them at the time of this post.)

As you can see, this shrewdly drawn graph depicts an event game doing much better at the start, following the hype up of the event, with a smooth(ish) decline as the holiday goes on. Obviously, we cannot forget the major dates that the event is all about, so there is a rise in players on the dates of christmas eve/day (however I wouldn’t expect people to be on Roblox on Christmas Day as its one for family!)

What is clearly visible here, is that Live-Ops under performs in comparison to Events, due to lack of promotion from Roblox themselves but also little-to-no hype about playing due to the lack of items Even if you combined all of the live-ops games together and all their player retention, it may still fall short of previous event’s retention due to the players moving from one game to the next (assuming that the majority of players are kids).

Of course, I’ll update this figure or in another post I’ll display any information if people are willing to provide evidence of events performing better than LiveOps (given this feature hasn’t arrived yet, it might be a while), feel free to message me over the forum, but that is besides the point. I feel like Roblox do mean well by pushing this new approach, as from my point of view, it is there to satisfy the needs of the increasingly large amount of new/upcoming developers, and it is designed in a way that every developer gets an equal allotment of time, and there is some honour in doing such a thing.

However, I don’t see an initiative like this working without some form of reward on the website. Players are unlikely to be interested in playing without something to work towards. The only reason I ever really go on event games now (unless they’re ones i play regularly) are to collect the items so I have a nice collection of nostalgic treasures from my past on the platform. If liveops was inplace of the normal monthly events (not like the christmas or easter events), then I’d be thrilled! However, this change is frustrating. It seems like a large kick in the back and it’s disappointing that even with Bazooka’s promising vision for the company moving forward, we still lose so much of what made Roblox the thing it is today.

Feel free to leave your thoughts on this as I really want to discover other people’s views on this so I can be better informed for the future.

18 Likes