Roblox Animation Editor plugin not loading animations correctly

Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced:
Date Last Experienced: 2021-02-26 17:02:00 (-07:00)

Reproduction Steps:

1. Using the Animation Editor plugin, create a new animation with the framerate set higher than the default 30 FPS.

2. Save the animation (and the place it’s contained in.)

3. Restart Studio and open the place again.

4. Open the Animation Editor plugin on the model you created the animation for.
    and/or
    a. Import an exported animation to the model within the editor.

Expected Behavior:
Animation loads correctly at correct framerate and across the same span of timeline.

Actual Behavior:
Animation is loaded at a lower frame rate than it is saved at, which also may cause keyframes to be misaligned (i.e., frame 15 in a 60 FPS animation does not line up and so I get the “keyframes not aligned” warning). Also, the track and keyframes are compressed to only take up one second at the incorrect framerate.

Workaround:
“Workaround” in this case being to basically redo the positions of every keyframe.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

4 Likes

Sorry to bump this topic but this problem is still not fixed. Every time I load an animation I have to realign my keyframes.

4 Likes

Bumping this topic because this annoys me so much. I’ll make an animation in 60fps and it somehow ends up at 24fps with messed up keyframes. Really hope this gets fixed.

5 Likes

Bumping. This is really messing up my workflow with cutscenes(no wonder why nobody on roblox does real cutscenes since there are so many hurdles you have to jump over, this being just one of them). This has been around for as long as I can remember and it’s surprising that it hasn’t been fixed yet.

Edit: Found a workaround for anybody that’s interested. It’s extremely annoying, but it works.

Basically, animate as though your animation is 120 FPS(or your desired FPS, this is just what I used). Make sure that you have a keyframe at EVERY single frame, and I mean EVERY frame. Do not leave a frame without anything in it, or the next time you go to use animation editor, your keyframes will “misalign,” or just randomly change which frame they are on.

Every time you open Animation Editor it will reset the FPS back to some random number, but if it’s divisible by your desired FPS amount your keyframes won’t misalign(for this reason I recommend using 30, 60, or 120). If it keeps resetting to 24 then you are screwed, because I’m pretty sure that’ll cause your frames to misalign 100% of the time, which opens up a whole bucket of issues.

The reason I added “Animation Events” is to mark the original frames. I just moved them forward by a factor of 4 (120/4 = 30, and my editor keeps resetting my FPS back to 30). The Animation Events are at the positions of the frames that I moved forward by a factor of 4 to keep track of them.

All you need to do at this point is set the FPS back to your desired number for the animation to be played and exported at normal speed(in my case, it’s 120).

Sorry if the explanation isn’t really good. We shouldn’t have to do this in the first place.

1 Like

Another rage-inducing animation editor bug as a result of my workaround. I guess having too many keyframes turns everything into one big keyframe?

1 Like

Yeah this issue is very annoying. You have to position every keyframe again each time you load or import the animation. Is there a fix to this issue yet?

2 Likes

Solved with this update:

Should this issue reoccur, please create a new topic. Thanks!