Roblox available now on PlayStation!

I don’t think that’s the case, other games such as Minecraft (on both Xbox and Play Station) have text chat, and the text filter is more lenient than Roblox’s. I’m sure Roblox can work something out.

10 Likes

Do we still have to friend people in Roblox Highschool like on xbox :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

What do you mean? What’s forcing you to add someone as a friend?

6 Likes

People want to friend others sometimes, but they can’t if their only device is xbox, there is no section for people to friend others on xbox so you have to do it through games.

6 Likes

The risk with Roblox enabling text chat support for consoles is because of how modifiable Roblox’s chat system is per-experience based off of that experience’s settings/changes to the default chat system. Minecraft is able to ensure text chat safety and parental controls reliably because their chat system isn’t easily modifiable on a Bedrock server and is filtered locally, while Roblox’s safety features are rather lackluster and can be bypassed very easily if chat is turned on at all. There is a very, very large problem with the experiences Roblox tends to provide that do not get moderated. To them, it’d be a nightmare to open the floodgates of text chat for console of which Microsoft and Sony would slap them on the wrist for. Roblox doesn’t want their kid-friendly rating to be ruined on console versions of Roblox. Thus, general unreliability and unwillingness to trust developers, leads them to suspend games of which add support for text chat on console. It’s an audience thing. If Roblox ages up, children (their target audience) won’t be able to download the app on consoles.

7 Likes

I doubt it’ll be that way because it’ll be a universal app (As far as I can tell).

3 Likes

Can we assign emails to accounts on playstation?

3 Likes

I would imagine so. I’m not very familiar with console (PlayStation in particular, I don’t have one)

You can edit your posts instead of deleting them, by the way.

3 Likes

Ye, I know but I accidently replied to someone I didn’t want to.

3 Likes

The new TextChatService is actually safe. Roblox could only allow the new TextChatService on consoles. Another thing to consider is not allowing normal chat on console is only going to prevent legitimate experiences allowing text chat. Malicious users can still create custom chats to break the rules.

7 Likes

Another thing to consider about Minecraft Bedrock for console is that it’s not officially supported to join third party servers, thus it is not easy to break past their walled garden of safety. On Roblox, you can join any experience you’d like, and without that, there’d be no Roblox. So there are trade-offs to the console ecosystem. On one hand, Minecraft has a further expressive chat of which is locked down, and you can only play multiplayer on official servers or using Realms with your friends. Roblox allows you to join almost any game, but chat is locked down because of the bad actors of which will always be there.

There seems to be a set policy for console communication. Safe spaces and friends only, or not at all. It is the unfortunate reality.

6 Likes

This is a total disappointment. The UI is abysmal and inconsistent. The resolution is capped. The performance is worse than my iPhone.

Not to mention, I don’t know why the priority for this release was PlayStation 4. This is not taking advantage of the hardware at all…

5 Likes

I just tested it out, I’m really amazed by the performance considering im on a PS4 slim. It runs really well so far.

My only complaint would be the lack of an in-app settings menu, like account, security settings, etc, so I hope that that will be addressed in the future.

Other than that, and a few visual glitches, this is very good for what seems like a very rushed port. Good job! :grinning:

4 Likes

you do realize all the moderating is done server side right?
also, how would one modify the chat on ps4/ps5? you cant access scripts, theres no exploits, no modules to corrupt, so what are you even talking about? also, this is roblox, why you keep bringing minecraft up? thats a java based game and is nothing like roblox

2 Likes

pretty good performance on ps5, my pc gets no where near the detail I’m seeing on console surprisingly.

3 things I want to see added soon

1. Groups Pages
  2. Profile Pages
  3. Text Chat (yes ik it’s already mentioned)

sidenote: need a good playstation/console game recommendation to try guys??
checkout a game on roblox called " Mysteries Of The Backrooms" and is by Martintiger4, the controls are so smooth on controller :slight_smile: and the graphics/environment is crazy

5 Likes

This update is awesome and I understand that there are a lot of issues and features soon to be added but, one thing that wasn’t mentioned is that you aren’t able to join Private Servers you are stuck on learn more and it is just an image page.

2 Likes

You can remove filtering from text chat in a few steps while using the Lua chat. I am making comparisons to Minecraft Bedrock because it has text chat on console. Minecraft Bedrock is not based off of Java.

2 Likes

didn’t even notice, hope they fix it… right now its kinda like roblox is holding a sign saying “Just play on pc” lol

3 Likes

It look’s amazing! It also looks so much better than the desktop app on PC!

2 Likes

Been curious about this for a long time, Roblox is rated Teen on PlayStation, and I thought because of that it would support chat and VC features, It’s a shame it didn’t come out with those but I’m still looking forward to it.

7 Likes