Roblox chat privacy question

I am going to be adding a feature to my roblox game where you can buy the pass to make a server announcement. Do I have to make it comply with roblox users who can see chat feature. So users who can not see chat due to privacy settings on their account can not see the announcement?

roblox users who can see chat feature I am referring to this:

1 Like

I personally have never seen it explicitly stated that this is what you need to do, but either way, I think you should comply.

If you’re wondering how to check whether they are able:

game:GetService("Chat"):CanUserChatAsync(Player/UserId)

It’s a sever announcement not a Chat thingy.

I read an article stating that things like RP name, Custom pet name , House names and what ever that isn’t a Chat can be shown even if the player has Chat off, because that message isn’t specific for 1 person I believe.

To protect yourself from the god’s of Roblox I think you should comply.

Chat-FilterStringForBroadcast

https://gyazo.com/b92e218eb2fa4f2d43e8c09ff342df35

https://gyazo.com/5c25e34b8734486df0cf6b5f4818ff98

TextFilterResult-GetNonChatStringForBroadcastAsync

Have fun reading this
Text and Chat Filtering

TextService-FilterStringAsync

If you wanna be really really sure then you can use
TextFilterResult-GetChatForUserAsync

I would just go for GetNonChatStringForBroadcastAsync() because it’s easier and it’s also seen by everyone not just one player.

Players could use this announcement to communicate, for example, the announcement could say “Hello, Spearritt!”.

As a result of this, I’d play it safe, and filter it accordingly.

Things like house name or theme park name are usually limited and difficult to use for chat communication. However, in the case of announcements, if two users buy this pass they can effectively communicate like chat. Use Chat:CanUserChatAsync to hide the broadcast from those who can’t chat and ideally prevent them from buying the pass too (consider dev products instead of gamepass for this reason), and TextService:FilterStringForBroadcast on the announcements being shown to those who can chat.