Roblox Developer Hub Help

Hey guys,

So after some developers recommending me to use the Developer Hub OVER youtubers to learn scripting, I tried it. And I am very confused. Where do I find tutorials specifically for beginners? I feel like its unorganized. It has stuff and code that I am not suppose to know until I know the basics. It has weird stuff like how to teleport players from one place to another or how to make a battle royal game, which is not helpful because the code it has doesn’t even make sense as I have not even learned that stuff. I feel like there should be organized tutorials for beginners.

If I am missing out on something, please reply to let me know.

27 Likes

I’ve made a post just specifically for something like this: Scripting resource links

Or here: Platform Overview | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

15 Likes

The dev hub is worlds better than YouTube because vou can search up basically anything and get an extremely detailed article on it, which you can’t get on YouTube. If you have a question on any scripting concept at all, you can just search it up on the dev hub and start learning. Or if you still have questions after reading about it you can get help on the dev forum.

I’m pretty sure there’s a tab called “learn roblox” that has tutorials for people who are just starting off.

14 Likes

So I think its safe to say that the developers who are saying learning from developer hub is better than learning from youtubers are RIGHT. YouTube videos are way too specific to be useful and/or spread misinformation.

You should be learning Lua at Programming in Lua (first edition)

The Roblox API reference doesn’t necessarily need to be in an order. other than alphabetical

12 Likes

Thanks!

However the second link you gave (learn roblox) is something I already looked at. Thats what I mean when I say its unorganized, the first thing they give is camera manipulation, which has code that doesn’t make sense.

9 Likes

Well it is up to you where to start with, if you don’t know Lua much or are new to it, you should first go look for the basics of Lua before making any systems like camera manipulation or tools or things like that.

10 Likes

That is the whole point. You program in Lua. Therefore that website is more reliable.

That is not what misinformation means at all. I won’t say which youtubers specifically, but they just don’t explain correctly. They have also teach bad practices. Code that works isn’t necessarily good code and just because it works doesn’t mean they aren’t spreading misinformation.

This proves my point even further.

9 Likes

Just want to point out that you could have searched up all of those concepts on the dev hub and learned just as well, I also feel like people who learn from YouTube instead of the dev hub don’t really learn it the right way and don’t have as strong of a grasp as they would if they would have learned from the dev hub.

7 Likes

So is the best place to start learning scripting Lua.org?

9 Likes

For Lua, yes you should use this. The Developer Hub is meant to teach you the Roblox API and not necessarily Lua. But it does every now and then.

13 Likes

Alright I’ll take your word for it and try Lua.org.

Thanks! And sorry for arguing a bit.

7 Likes

Well I did look at stuff like functions when I visited there. Though I believe that is very helpful, I just think finding those specific articles is hard. Don’t get me wrong, they explain it very well, but those articles should be in an organized way from basic to advance.

8 Likes