Roblox LSP - Full Intellisense for Roblox and Luau!

To get autocompletion of datamodel descendants, install this plugin in Roblox Studio, then when the vscode extension is running (you have to open a .lua file first), click in the button Connect in the Toolbar.

And that’s all you need to do.

Now it’s showing this. I’m not sure how to start it. I had a lua file open before clicking Connect. The host is corrcetly set.

Make sure you don’t have Lua by sumneko installed.

I don’t have Lua by sumneko installed. I only have your extension installed.

Add me on Discord: Nightrains#8846

What vscode extension exactly? Since it’s just stuck at connecting.

Edit - Nevermind, got that working

Looks like the latest version broke highlighting of certain things, making my code a lot tougher to read in a lot of situations.

LSP at 0.14.1 or earlier (how it looked before, how I want it):
Code_cs7PxS9T3l

LSP at 0.14.2 or later (everything’s the same color in most of my themes now):
Code_TvYEBY3DnM

1 Like

I already noticed it and it’s internally fixed, but I’m making improvements to semantic highlighting before publishing the new update.

2 Likes

here’s an error

...s/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\value.lua:645: C stack overflow
stack traceback:
	...s/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\value.lua:646: in local 'callback'
	...s/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\value.lua:371: in method 'rawEach'
	...s/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\value.lua:645: in method 'markGlobal'
	...s/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\value.lua:646: in local 'callback'
	...s/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\value.lua:371: in method 'rawEach'
	...s/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\value.lua:645: in method 'markGlobal'
	...	(skipping 1937 levels)
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:447: in method 'loadVM'
	.../server/script/method\textDocument\documentHighlight.lua:8: in function 'method.textDocument.documentHighlight'
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:62: in method '_callMethod'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:106: in method '_doProto'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:803: in method '_loadProto'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:778: in method '_doCompileTask'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:1065: in method 'onTick'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:1087: in method 'listen'
	...e\extensions\nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5\server\main.lua:24: in main chunk
	[C]: in ?
stack traceback:
	...	(skipping 1448 levels)
	...ions/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\vm.lua:1257: in function 'vm.manager.doAction'
	...ions/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\vm.lua:1287: in function 'vm.manager.doActions'
	...ions/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\vm.lua:143: in function 'vm.manager.runFunction'
	...ions/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\vm.lua:1307: in function 'vm.manager.callLeftFuncions'
	...ions/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\vm.lua:1499: in function <...ions/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\vm.lua:1486>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	...ions/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/vm\vm.lua:1520: in function 'vm'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:568: in method 'compileVM'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:761: in function <...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:761>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:761: in function <...ns/nightrains.robloxlsp-0.14.5/server/script/service.lua:756>

happens after connecting to the studio plugin, started spamming the output while editing this;

3 Likes

@Nightrains I’m working with a team, how should we use the Roblox LSP extension?

1 Like

Roblox LSP is used individually, you don’t need your team to use it too, but whoever wants to use it can do it.

If you mean developing a game for Roblox using an external code editor, Roblox LSP doesn’t do anything, it just provides Intellisense among other things, what you have to use for that is Rojo.

1 Like

Yea, sure
But if we are VSC live sharing, and everyone uses the Roblox LSP Plugin, will it be an issue?

I don’t think so, like all other language servers, Roblox LSP sends to VSCode information to do actions like Go To Definition, Autocompletion, Hover, etc, if that was a problem, then no extension that provides those things would work properly.

the way vsc live share works, only the environment of the host is shared with other users- you’d just be using the host’s extensions

@Nightrains, I’ve added a .rbxmx file to my file system, is that supported through Roblox LSP, as it doesn’t seem to work with Roblox LSP but is Rojo supported.

1 Like

No it’s not supported yet, definitely one day, Rojo support only work with .lua, .txt and .model.json files.

Rojo supports .rbxmx, just not Roblox LSP I’ve found.
But thanks.

2 Likes

Yes, with Rojo support I mean Roblox LSP support for Rojo.

1 Like

I’ve decided to use this today and it’s insane. Props to everyone to contributed to this. :clap:

2 Likes

@Nightrains if I create objects using Instance.new, will roblox LSP recognise them?