Roblox motor bugs

lets out deep sigh

Imgur

This is caused by having a lot of players spawn at the same time. I made it happen less often by adding a wait(math.random()) in between each spawn but it still happens sometimes. I use Motor instance and I think @Davidii has the same unresolved issue.

2 Likes

All SurfaceTypes on the characters are Smooth/SmoothNoOutlines, right?

Yes.

Client Features --> Client Bugs

It would probably be helpful to have the links to everything that would be needed to repro it (or a file)

Helpful checklist: Please Read Before Posting: Steps to Report a Bug

It’s complicated. It’d basically require me to give out my game. I supposed if someone wanted to repro it they could Motor 30 parts to the torso of a character each time they spawn, then have many players spawn quickly.

It kinda reminds me of a fly drowning in a glass of water.

No we know what maplestick does in his freetime.

How many seconds minimum can you put between each spawning character to prevent this from happening?

I’ll try to make a repro. To ensure I get it as close to yours as possible so there’s no chance of doing something different and causing the bug to not be present:

• Do you use StarterCharacter or manually build your character?
  • You use Motor6Ds and not Motors, right?
  • Joints are like this: foot connects to lower leg, lower leg connects to upper leg, upper leg connects to torso, etc with Part1 being foot and Part0 the lower leg, right?
  • Does the character model start off welded together in storage, and then you clone it to create new characters, or does it start off unwelded?
  • If not, do any joints ever get cloned, or do you create them all through Instance.new()?
  • If your character does not start welded together, how do you weld it? (If you have any generic weld code that you’re using that’s not really considered part of your game, can you post the source so my repro is as close to your game as possible?)
  • Do the character parts start off created and then you clone them, or do you create MeshParts through Instance.new() each time a character spawns?
  • Are your characters parented to nil before they’re parented to workspace?
  • Are the characters finished being set up when they’re parented to workspace?
  • Where are your characters parented when you set their position?
  • Can you reproduce this in play solo and/or test servers, or only online?

Do you use StarterCharacter or manually build your character?

StarterCharacter then Motor my character on the torso

You use Motor6Ds and not Motors, right?

Motor

Joints are like this: foot connects to lower leg, lower leg connects to upper leg, upper leg connects to torso, etc with Part1 being foot and Part0 the lower leg, right?

Yes

Does the character model start off welded together in storage, and then you clone it to create new characters, or does it start off unwelded?

Starts off welded in storage. The only parts I motor myself are the spine and hips

If your character does not start welded together, how do you weld it? (If you have any generic weld code that you’re using that’s not really considered part of your game, can you post the source so my repro is as close to your game as possible?)

M.Joint = function(A, B, MC0, MC1, Parent)
	local MR = Instance.new("Motor", A)
	MR.Name = A.Name..":"..B.Name
	MR.Part0, MR.Part1 = A, B
	MR.C0, MR.C1 = MC0, MC1
	if Parent then MR.Parent = Parent end
	return MR
end

Do the character parts start off created and then you clone them, or do you create MeshParts through Instance.new() each time a character spawns?

Character is in ReplicatedStorage and cloned locally onto each torso. The server sees nothing but a torso and a humanoidrootpart and a head.

Are your characters parented to nil before they’re parented to workspace?

ReplicatedStorage

Are the characters finished being set up when they’re parented to workspace?

I just clone() them and parent them. I wait(math.random()) twice during loading

Where are your characters parented when you set their position?

They just spawn in spawnlocation in workspace.

1 Like

For clarification:

Your StarterCharacter looks like this:

And then whenever a player spawns in through a SpawnLocation in your FE game you clone the real body from ReplicatedStorage and attach it to the dummy body that’s already in workspace – each client does this locally for the character that just spawned.

Correct?

Edit: Is that transparent part pictured in the OP a SpawnLocation?

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

Oh no I meant to say the player spawns as usual. It’s only after they spawn that I remove limbs and motor on my own stuff.

And at the end part of your post, yes

1 Like

How are characters spawning in the same place even though you’re using ROBLOX spawns? Doesn’t ROBLOX place characters above each other? It looks like that’s kind of what’s happening with the 3rd guy who spawns afterwards in the OP, but the two original characters look like they’re in the exact same location.

In the OP I glitched myself and fell out if the map. While flying I got teleport ed to that location and motored. Then more players got motored on.

Does the issue only happen when players fall out of the map, or even when they’re normally spawned above each other?

It happens all the time.

Usually when there’s 5 or more players.