Roblox needs to fix Botting problem

Today I noticed that one of my friend’s group got severely botted by fake accounts. Yesterday it had 800 legitimate members and today It had 10000+ Members.

Here’s the link to the group (Ignore the really bad grammar my friend did the group is more of a joke to boho salon)

2 Likes

Easier said than done, bots and their creators are notorious for bypassing almost any countermeasures.

This has also been discussed many times before. (I’m sure someone has the list of links)

2 Likes

I know but this is really getting out of hand…

2 Likes

How do you suggest they fix it then?

Why is botting members a problem? Because the group’s member participation is now misleading? #members itself is misleading – replace it with a statistic more appropriate for member participation and both problems are solved.

1 Like

It’s because groups can be given over 40k members without even putting effort in. This is far more misleading than putting in the effort to gain genuine members. The whole point of members is that you earn then, not produce them.

However, that is actually a very good idea - some sort of active member statistic which is used as the primary sort variable, meaning groups with a ton of inactive members will just be removed. Activity = playing group games, participating in group actions such as posting on wall, buying group assets etc.

It would also give a chance for either the superclans like RAT to become more active, or risk going to the bottom of the list in favour of active groups.

2 Likes

The intent of the thread is right, but everyone would benefit if we didn’t make X threads about this and spread out the discussion in this way. Use the search feature in the top right to find similar threads and continue the discussion.

2 Likes

I agree - you can find my original post about this here as you know: Account Age Limits to Group Joining

However it’s understandable (due to the title of my thread) that he didn’t find it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Perhaps roblox could require an email to be verified before joining a group

1 Like

Unfortunately it isn’t difficult at all to create a system to bypass (which they already do):

I could make a bash script which creates an email address on my domain “xeptix.com” i.e badfuo14t@xeptix.com, then I’d sign up using badfuo14t as my username, then I’d send an http request to verify my email, and my dedicated server would wait for an email from *@roblox.com, parse the email to look for the URL to verify, then send an http request to verify.

I approximate it’d only take me an hour to have this system setup. Then I could create an account and verify the email in seconds. Nothing is stopping me from spoofing my IP, or using my handy dandy list of 50k VPN/Proxy servers to mask my IP.

1 Like