Roblox player mysteriously crashes/closes with no error in my game

Info

My game crashes after being played for a while, in my game maps are downloaded as assets at run time. Even if you download all maps the game won’t immediately crash, it just happens somewhat randomly after the game has been open for a while.
This has been happening for a while now, ever since I made maps downloaded on the server, so I’m guessing it has something to do with that? The game has around 77 maps, all ranging from small to massive. I am unfortunately not sure if it is tied to one map or just the large amount of them.

here is the game: Project Somnia - Roblox

Repro

To reproduce this bug is kind of tricky. It seems totally random, but it defiantly seems related with downloading large amounts of maps. It only seems to happen if a lot of maps are downloaded, and you have been playing for a while.

Background info on the game

I have no idea if this info will be useful so I will put it at the bottom
In my game maps are uploaded as models and then downloaded at run time, this is because the game has many maps but does not use teleport service (its slow and immersion breaking). So when a client needs a map, it will check if its been downloaded, if not it asks the server to download it. The downloaded map is then put into replicated storage for any client to use. I really wanted to avoid having the server download it. Instead having only the client that needs the map download it, but as far as I know its not possible to download an asset on the client.

Note

I hope this report is somewhat helpful in fixing this bug. If you need more info I will try and get anything else needed, just let me know.

Log/dump files were attached to the internal ticket by a Roblox Staff (@Focia19), due to the sensitive information they may contain, will not be shared publicly!

4 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and we will update you when we have further information!

Thanks for the report!

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! Could you provide crash dump? You can find how to get and send the files to us in this topic: How to post a Bug Report - Bug Reports - Developer Forum | Roblox

1 Like

I checked in both the logs folder and the archive after making the game crash again, and like last time no dump files were generated, all I have is a log file that just kind of abruptly ends.
0.598.0.5980624_20231021T060629Z_Player_D39B0_last.log (21.5 KB)
I can keep trying and and crashing the game to see if a dump with be created one of the times, but other than that I sadly can’t provide a crash dump.

I have figured out how to crash the game consistently, however it takes a bit of time to execute. In the game press ` this will open the dev menu (public to everyone) then download every map, after just start teleporting to random maps and eventually the game will crash

Some more info on the crash as well, roblox player just abruptly closes, looking at the log verses a normal log, it just ends without logging a disconnect or anything like that.

I wish I could help more, but sadly this is all I am able to provide at this time.

2 Likes

having similar problems with playing games on the platform, randomly crashes at certain loading points and/or randomly with no error message, almost like i hit alt + F4