| roblox-pyc | A Python, C, C++, Moonscript, Text/Json port to Roblox, because we need a better language

Python has the built in libraries on GitHub, you will have to copy paste them on your own.

All wally and rbxts packages are supported, roblox-pyc has its own registry of python designed packages. Also pip packages are supported, only ones that use 100% python. If it uses C/C++ and you do not have beta mode enabled it will error.

1 Like

I can agree, it is very cool so I am working on allowing you to use it alongside.

My bad, Iā€™m fixing it rn.

EDIT: I fixed the link

3 Likes

Okay, so the current version is pretty buggy, and slow.

Part of the problem is because I didnā€™t bother to write modularized code, halfway through I did split it to ~12 different python scripts but the python interpreter is so slow. So this time I will be rewriting it inā€¦ C, C++, and a heavily modded version of lua.

With these changes I will also remove it from PyPi (pip) and just have standalone executables available.

I have a whole announcement on the discord server and a step-by-step plan on Github Issues.

This is really cool, I only use roblox luau cause there are no other languages and I miss c++ here. Sad so this only compiles to luau and has no performance gainsā€¦

1 Like

I havenā€™t used any compiling tools like roblox-ts yet, but I did hear that the compiling of roblox-ts is not always accurate. Can I trust this tool for my game development?

Rust when :eyes:

1 Like

Before compiling

After compiling

1 Like

roblox-rs exists that can convert Rust WASM to Luau. obviously it is not going to have good performance, since it is being based on compiling Assembly to a High-level language.

I want to do this but I am quitting roblox development and might pass ownership of this project to someone else after I rewrite some systems.

1 Like

The compiler is very accurate but the interface is difficult to get started with since it is a pip package and that stopped alot of people from using it, standalone executables are coming soon tho.

1 Like

Compiling from Lua to Python is not the point of this project, the %s is supposed to be the old code as a reference for you to manually rewrite in Python then compile again using roblox-pyc to Lua.

Heya, any updates on this? Would be awesome to use C++.

1 Like

It is available but since roblox-pyc split up into multiple compilers it is not apart of roblox-pyc anymore.

Very little examples are provided because this is an experimental but it has a list of which C and C++ features are supported.

Here is a Fibonacci sequence test I did a while ago:

#include "src/rbx.h"

int fibonacci(int n) {
    if (n <= 1) {
        return n;
    } else {
        return fibonacci(n-1) + fibonacci(n-2);
    }
}

int main() {
    int n = 10;
    for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
        print((char *)fibonacci(i));
    }
    print("\n");
    return 0;
}
--// Generated by roblox-c v1.0.0 \\--
--Note: This code will not be very clean.

local C = require(game.ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("Packages").cruntime)

function fibonacci(n)
    if (n<=1) then
        return n
    else
        return (fibonacci(n-1)+fibonacci(n-2))
    end
end
do
    local n = 10
    local i = 0
    while (i<n) do
        i += 1 
        print(C.cast("char *", fibonacci(i)))
    end
    print("\n")
    return 0
end

Types do not get compiled because typechecking happens by gcc on roblox-c compile time.

Having trouble here. Here is the test.cpp file:

//#include <iostream>
#include "rbx.h"
//using namespace std;

int main() {
    int SECRET_NUMBER = 1;

if (true) {
        //cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
        print("Hello, World!");
    }

switch (SECRET_NUMBER) {
        case 1:
            //cout << "You got it correct with the number 1!" << endl;
            print("You got it correct with the number 1!");
        break;

default:
            //cout << "Oop, secret number isn't 1!" << endl;
            print("Oop, secret number isn't 1!");
        break;
    }

return 0;
}

When trying to compile, I get this error:

So, I removed the bool literal, now having this:

//#include <iostream>
#include "rbx.h"
//using namespace std;

int main() {
    int SECRET_NUMBER = 1;

// if (true) {
    //     //cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
    //     print("Hello, World!");
    // }

switch (SECRET_NUMBER) {
        case 1:
            //cout << "You got it correct with the number 1!" << endl;
            print("You got it correct with the number 1!");
        break;

default:
            //cout << "Oop, secret number isn't 1!" << endl;
            print("Oop, secret number isn't 1!");
        break;
    }

return 0;
}

And then I get this:

--// Generated by roblox-c v1.0.0 \\--
--Note: This code will not be very clean.

local C = require(game.ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("Packages").cruntime)

do
	local SECRET_NUMBER = 1
	C.switch(SECRET_NUMBER, {
		[1] = function()print("You got it correct with the number 1!")
		end,
		break
		[C.def] = function()print("Oop, secret number isn't 1!")
		end,
		break
	})
	return 0
end

Whichā€¦ doesnā€™t work. In order to get this functionality, I have to remove break.

Thought Iā€™d let ya knowšŸ‘

Thanks for reporting this, Bools arent supported because C++ interprets them as 0 and 1s so I forgot to add it. I will try to improve performance with breaks. Indenting the break the same as the other items should fix it.

1 Like

This is awesome! I really wanted to use Python when coding in Roblox (this is also a good way if u wanna learn a new Language), im tired of Luau sometimes, but also this gives advantages for people who dont know Lua but want to code on Roblox.

2 Likes

100 likes! Trust me way more is coming, first up the project is now known as RCC roblox-compiler-collection and supports 11 languages now!!

You can read more in the Unexex projects site but more is to come!