Roblox should Improve how Moderation Functions within Games

Throughout over a decade of Roblox studio, I think the most frustrating thing has been Roblox’s reactive approach with auto-moderation against games that may have something potentially breaking Terms of Service and make it frustrating for end user experience.

The problem isn’t the auto-moderation itself, but the actions it makes after it detects the games you made to be potentially inappropriate. The moderation notes never depict what the exact problem with the game was besides the topic of inappropriate content. It also does not allow the user, who was given the moderation note, any way to resolve the issue in due time to avoid possible moderation of their account.

In fact, it creates more wasted time to guess what the problem was, only for it to moderate your account again with more severity despite efforts to follow guidelines for the platform.

An improved auto-mod system, where auto-moderation actually looks into the game itself and sends me what was actually problematic about it instead of providing my a vague note that only depicts the place ID and nothing further. It has happened multiple times for me even if they were warnings they are not helpful at all and I end up contacting Roblox Support for further inquiry.

6 Likes

I agree; Roblox should update better their moderation system, that’s for sure, the only problem with Roblox is how its encounters the problem and fixes it. For example take the Audio Privacy update, a huge way for Roblox to get hated by its developers and mostly how it was largy countermoved. Why not removing all Copyrighted audios instead of removing all audios from the marketplace.

Well we can’t really change Roblox behaviour but I’ll hope for the best.
(Yes, english is not my first language)

2 Likes

The moderation is perfectly fine, we just need access to moderation API’s similar to how we can prompt users to block others.

1 Like

Your definitely right, I’ll reconsider this.

2 Likes

It’s really just that we need more transparency. It’s a common issue that companies are not willing to share the real reasons or content. False bans or warnings are perfectly fine, but no moderator recognizes the genuine issue thats going on. If we could actually appeal these bans without going through an extremely long process then all of the above issues are automatically solved.

1 Like

Recently got my account terminated because of auto-moderation, why the hell roblox even made it terminate without human’s review? This platform continues to make no sense over and over again.

1 Like

My best guess is probably because there are too many users to moderate, so Roblox resorts to using bots to moderate. The bots probably aren’t very “trained” and exposed to a large number of rule-breaking content.

2 Likes

Was this meant to be in platform usage support? I know there isn’t a feature request for moderation, maybe feature request under engine as it’s in-game?

Anyways, I’ll share my thoughts on this. I agree with the OP that the auto-moderation should show what specifically it took issue with. Imo, that should go for all moderation. For example, voice chat clips, with what was flagged (automatically or not), should be included in moderation notes regarding that.

Maybe people shouldn’t be, ya know, banned or whatever without evidence. Jokes, but for real.

Out of context this is just outright wrong.

Random example, developers can make age guideline set games but can’t set assets to those same guidelines. I can provide more examples of the flawed moderation system if need-be.

Please give more context.

If the API only works for our own games, and only that, then sure I guess. We can set up a ban list and ‘kick’ the player each time they join already.

I don’t know about that. And, to the point of transparency, I’d love more, but it doesn’t seem realistic. I’d read this post: Give Transparency About Moderation | Website-focused - #3 by Abcreator

Roblox’s biggest section is apparently Trust and Safety, as said by David Baszucki in an interview by The Verge, yet issues of moderation plague the platform. Moderation isn’t a Roblox only issue however. Many big platforms/companies suffer from the problem of numbers. (users to mods ratio) Automation is needed with this big of a community, at least to a degree.

It’s my opinion that bots shouldn’t be allowed to actually terminate a user or give them a ban. (in most cases) Rather, I feel bots should only, or mostly, be able to give ‘strikes’. I also feel that you should be able to look at all moderation on your account with all the information that is relevant. (such as what you say in chat or voice chat specifically.)

1 Like