Roblox VR System Update

You already can play Roblox without a link cable for the quest two using Oculus Air Link, I’ve been playing it perfectly fine this way for a while now.

5 Likes

You can already do this in VR. It’s not really a large issue. Worst case, age restrict it.

14 Likes

The update we’ve been waiting for!

7 Likes

To preface this, I am really glad to see this new update! Been looking forward to it!

As the quote above mentions, the index controllers don’t have a lot of buttons. That is true regarding physical buttons. However, the controllers finger tracking abilities allows for a large variety of inputs.

VR-Chat, for example, utilizes this. Sometimes a bit too excessively, however that doesn’t mean it’s something that shouldn’t be considered. Utilizing the controller’s finger tracking abilities, or at the very least adding/improving support for them, would give a lot of freedom to developers if they were to implement gesture specific actions. (For example, web swinging)

Really great to see support for the index controllers! Really hope to see more updates to VR in the future! Keep it up!

Edit:
Grammar

5 Likes

I am so happy to finally see Roblox VR getting the love it deserves. This is a step in the right direction but VR in Roblox still has a long way to go before I would consider it accessible to both developers and players. For starters, I hope to see some of the many bugs squashed in the coming months as priority picks back up, as well as a much needed renovation on the documentation and examples for creating games that utilize VR. As it stands the documentation is sub-par at best and most new VR developers I’ve seen are discouraged by the amount of guesswork you have to do with all of the current issues and documentation.

As for the new camera examples, I think they look great from the preview! I do agree with Elttob though, the vignette effect is pretty lackluster and is more intrusive than helpful for seasoned VR users who don’t experience motion sickness. Rec Room does something similar with the vignette effect during motion and I am not a fan. Having better control over things like that will be wonderful for the end user and for the developer so we can make the experience better for new and experienced users. It would be even better if we got fine-tuned control over how strong the vignette effect is.

After everything is said and done this is a very solid start for a system that needs some major love. Thanks for picking it back up.

12 Likes

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! This is a big step forward, as previously, VR on Roblox has always felt substandard and clunky to me (controllers lagging behind you as you move, wrong controller positions, weird Index controls, etc.). Glad to see Roblox taking a step forward and solving these issues to make the VR experience actually enjoyable for players.

2 Likes

It has quest 2 support, but it needs a cable.

4 Likes

Nice to see that Roblox opening up their horizon to VR. Love to see how the future of Roblox will be!

4 Likes

YES!! This was an update that I was really waiting for! I hope other issues get optimized and fixed soon :smiley:

4 Likes

I’d like to see the ability to trigger VR Mode in Roblox Studio, as I fully believe that an editor for Roblox places in VR would remove many of the uncomfortable problems it currently faces:

• Changes not saving due to forgetting to copy the model out of Testing Mode

• Copying all of the Lua widgets into Workspace to make them VR-accessible

• Not having access to your Studio plugins in VR

• Not having access to the embedded lua widget, which necessitates creating an entirely new Terrain Tool

• Not having access to the CoreGuis before testing mode starts, forcing you to write new scripts to wrench camera control away from them, then dealing with the loss in control that presents

Note that I don’t want Roblox to write a whole VR Mode for Roblox Studio; I want to write a plugin for that myself, as the Lua interface combined with the nature of VR makes it easy to customize your own UI. I just want to be able to switch the camera mode from the flatscreen display to the VR headset, and be able to access tools while in the headset.

13 Likes

At least what I have seen, the VR in roblox was a complex thing… apparently new frontiers are opening to this world that perhaps many people will use, I honestly dont but I think this is a good change and a very positive one

1 Like

all that’s needed is a way to access chat for keyboard users and vr controller users, and we’ll be golden!

6 Likes

Awesome! Although I don’t plan on directly using most of these features, it’s wonderful Roblox is getting back into VR. I’d love to see more games just with simple VR support (like some of the early oculus titles) using the new first person camera stuff.

4 Likes

I love the fact that ROBLOX is working on VR again, the changes that are being made are a good step in the right direction. Who knows, maybe this will lead to a native port to the Quest 2 one day :smirk:

Until then I would love to be able to move my arms in VR, it’s a stable of immersion and not being able to wave or high five or generally emote is just a little boring. Good work team roblox!

4 Likes

I’ve actually been playing Roblox VR with an Index for months now, I’m so glad I’ll hopefully be able to actually use the menu now. Thank you so much for this change (which really only affects a small percentage of the player base). Gives me even more hope for Roblox’s future. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Why add Quest 2 support if you cant even use it officially?

Id rather have an official app for Quest 2.

4 Likes

Hey Roblox, Cool updates!

I have a complaint though, for the first person camera, I feel like it would be reasonable to add a option to eathier change how big the circle is for the first person camera, It seems like It would be hard for some players who don’t have problems with vomiting while using VR to probably see, especially in some games, it may make it feel a little bit bland without seeing most of the surroundings.

1 Like

Using Oculus Link to run Roblox is official (it’s not like side quest/dev mode).

They said they’ll have an official app at some point:

3 Likes

This is really cool, but what I want to hope is for Roblox to release on the Oculus Store. (hopefully happens next year or this year before new years)

4 Likes

Please make all of these VR-related comfort features account/device-wide, you need to appeal to newcomers and VR veterans alike in order to become a VR mainstay. That means smooth turning, no vignette, no teleport, no out of body ghosting.

The only thing worse than playing a game that makes you sick is playing a game that acts like you will be sick.

Give developers control over which comfort features are available in their experience!

6 Likes