Roblox VR - UI Update

The script itself is from my (very) old help topics; I have very different coding practices nowadays, but thanks for the assistance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another really cool update but I noticed a pretty big issue.

When collapsing the menu/UI, that causes Purchase Prompts to be hidden as well. I realized this after playing a game and buying a devproduct multiple times without being alerted as the jump button is the confirm purchase keybind (even if the prompt is hidden).

I’m not asking for a refund, but can there be some way for the Purchase Prompt to be forced visible (and in front of your view) to prevent accidental purchases?

5 Likes

will we get vr-only games
also do ya got any sort of release date for the oculus app? air link/quest link doesn’t work for me so i’m having to wait

2 Likes

This might answer your first question:

2 Likes

i had the same problem just now; im gonna avoid closing my menu from now on until this is fixed cuz im not wasting any more of my robux

edit: i sent a support ticket, they didnt refund and implied that i shouldve paid more attention to the confirmation dialog before the purchase (even though it was hidden?? but im not too mad about the refund though as it was only a 60-robux item)
i did detail the problem in the text and they said they recieved my suggestion to fix it… and i do hope they do soon; even though this problem didnt cost me much, it could be very costly for some other people if they encounter it

2 Likes

Has there been any further consideration of a way to fully hide the new bottom bar? It doesn’t fit well in games where full visibility is important, for example FPS games, vehicle games, flight simulators, etc. Some way for users to hide the menu would be nice.

5 Likes

Apparently the bottom bar only supports LegacyChatService and not TextChatService. Is there any ETA for when it will support both?

2 Likes

For transparency, here is our thinking:
When you collapse the UI, BottomBar becomes the only visible UI. Just like the TopBar before which it replaces, it always has to be accessible. Security features but even just the options and leave buttons need to be easy to reach for users.
What we do consider is a blend-out of the bottom bar when you look away from it, would that help with your concerns ?

7 Likes

This should be fixed in last week’s release in 562. Purchase Prompt will be automatically dismissed if UI is collapsed, so you won’t be able to purchase anything without seeing them. Also if any Purchase Prompt pops up while UI is collapsed, the prompt will force the UI to expand and show the prompt. Hope this could address your concern! :smiley:

4 Likes

I love the design! I do think that there should be an extra button to like hide the bar since it sometimes gets in the way of gameplay.

The Bottom Bar should automatically fade out and hide when collapsed out of view now.
When you look down, it comes back into focus.
Let me know if you have any more feedback on the behavior.

5 Likes

Thanks, this seems like a good compromise. It would be nice if it was possible to hide it entirely, maybe moving the UI hiding functionality to a button on the bottom bar and using the physical menu button to hide the bottom bar as well, but that aside I understand that for security features it does need to be easily accessible.

6 Likes

Heya, im using a mod for the Rift S that removes Oculus dash and boots straight into steamVR. The problem is that when trying to load into roblox, it hooks onto the oculus openXR/openVR (dont know the difference) runtime and steam doesnt load it onto the screen/ steamVR environment. Can we please get a way to change the runtime manually? And if you cant do this with an in-game menu, can you at least provide steps (if there are any) to get it working ourselves. Thanks.

@MetaVars

5 Likes

Technically this is simple : create a selection for the backend, pass it into the engine and pick accordingly.
The tricky part is where would this selection live?
We probably won’t make space in the menu for this, so the most likely option would be a parameter that you pass to the executable.

4 Likes

a parameter would be ideal tbh

1 Like

We are releasing a patch soon that updates our VR backend to OpenXR and solves this problem as well. When using OpenXR, you select which app will run it (Oculus or SteamVR) .

5 Likes

Cool! Will this be an update just for the client, or will Studio be affected too?

I’m on a desktop with one GPU so it didn’t affect me, but there was basically a bug on systems with multiple GPUs like laptops where Studio couldn’t find a connected VR headset, no matter what. I don’t think the client had trouble detecting headsets, only Studio for some reason.

3 Likes

I have a 3 step answer for this :

1. If there is a bug in Studio, please post a report on the dev forum, we are working through these
  2. The VR architecture runs the same code in Studio as the client, so any changes should transfer.
  3. However I’m myself only working on the client, so if there are Studio specific issues then we don’t always catch them.
4 Likes

New path notes : VR Updates: OpenXR, Height Scaling and Floor Tracking

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.