Rojo UI - A Roblox-style explorer & properties view for Visual Studio Code

This is huge! Thanks for helping create a resource of this caliber.

I’m having a minor problem, when double clicking any script in the explorer, it does not open, is this due to your extension or the rojo extension?

1 Like

Well, I technically have the same problem, except it only opens Notepad. I’d really like to use this though.

WHAT! Just came back to vanilla Roblox IDE but this may make me leave it again, what an interesting point of view I couldn’t have thought of this

I guess we’ll have to wait for an official response from the developer, or just put up an issue on the github page.

@saSlol2436

Make sure your default editor for .lua files is VS Code. The extension relies on Rojo for opening files as it doesn’t have access to any file paths, and Rojo will always use the default editor.

To change your default editor on Windows:

1. Right click any .lua file
  2. Click “Open with…”
  3. In the dialog that pops up, find and select Visual Studio Code, then check the “Always use this app to open .lua files” box, as seen here.
  4. Press OK and try opening a script again

I don’t own any Apple devices, but the process should be roughly similar on MacOS.

@UnlimitedKeeping
Same as above. Also, make sure the script is not inside of a .rbxm file. Rojo cannot open these files.

If it still isn’t working, DM me.

1 Like

I tried a primitive method by simply changing the code editor that the .lua files opens to notepad, and it worked just fine, but when I swapped back to VSC, it still did not work.

so, from that it seems like my VSC can’t open .lua files into the project workspace. yet from the folder explorer in VSC, I can open the .lua files perfectly fine without any problems.

I’m curious, after changing your default editor, does this extension work for you?

2 Likes

Not sure what would cause that. Best I can suggest is that you reinstall VSC and make sure you’re on Rojo 6.0.0rc1. Also check Rojo’s output for any additional information.

Yeah, after doing Muoshoob’s method. Everything worked perfectly for me.

I solved the problem, apparently you cannot use this with the rojo VSC extension, I changed to the binaries, and then this extension worked just fine, seems like the problem lies within the rojo VSC extension.

note to everyone experiencing the same issue, do not use the VSC extension if you’re planning on using this extension, it will not work.

Make sure you’ve set your release branch to 6.x in the Rojo VSC extension’s settings.

I was indeed using the 6.x release branch, if you feel like doing it, could you test this if it does indeed work on your end?

1 Like

You’re correct; I’ve reproduced the issue on my device. Rojo returns as usual (no error information, all checks pass), but does not open the file in VSC. I’ll contact evaera and see if it can’t be resolved quickly. For now, just use the CLI.

Created an issue on the Github repo with a bit of additional info for anyone that wants to check it out.

2 Likes

Extension updated to v0.0.3.

[0.0.3] - 2020-06-24

• Fixed random disconnects (hopefully)
  • Fixed live sync not working
  • Add extension icon

Now that it’s been just over a week since I released this, if anyone has any feature requests or has been experiencing any bugs, feel free to file an issue here. Make sure to label it accordingly.

Not a bug, but it seems that when clicking a module script in the explorer, it takes almost one full second to actually open up the script (or jump to the script tab if it already is open). Is this the case for everyone?

I don’t know if a full second is normal (it usually takes less than half that for me), but I cannot control how fast they open since Rojo handles file opening. Is your system or network under load?

Yeah, I had it open while testing and it does seem to slow down when under load. Nothing I can really do about that so it’s no big deal