Satchel // Open-source modern backpack system

oh… my… gosh… i was literally JUST working on a backpack gui (which wasnt going so great) and before i log off i see THIS thread? You lifesaver!

I’ll look into making it always show the hotbar even when empty. Ideally this can be toggled by an attribute.

Very nice module, was able to quickly implement it to my game to solve an issue with the base backpack interfering with GUI. Though I wish the Hotbar’s size and offset could quickly be edited within the Attributes. But it’s not like its hard at all to edit.

Would also love for an easy setup to allow the hotbar to be displayed and ordered vertically instead of the default horizontal.
But overall really good!

Are these errors fine for them to be there?

Yes, they shouldn’t affect anything.

I used Visual Studio Code for the development of Satchel, and warnings from Roblox’s IDE don’t properly display in VSCode so that is why they are warnings.

They should be no errors (red) but warnings are fine (orange).

2 Likes

What would I use to disable the backpack in a script? I have a handcuff system which disables the coregui backpack when you are cuffed but I dont know how to make it so it disables the satchel backpack instead.

You would use :SetBackpackEnabled(false) to disable Satchel.

I’m guessing I have to do something like " local Backpack = require(game.StarterPlayerScripts:WaitForChild(“Satchel”):WaitForChild(“SatchelScript”) " first?

Yes, you would need to get player’s local copy of Satchel.SatchelScript and then use :SetBackpackEnabled(false).

Ohhhh I have the get the local copy. I was trying to get the server copy the whole time, no wonder it wasn’t working

oh nevermind, I was using an older version of satchel soo that’s why it wasn’t working

New Wiki & Documentation

We now have a new wiki for Satchel. In the wiki find:

With such a new wiki they are prone to be documentation inconsistencies and errors. If you see such, open a documentation issue and we’ll look into it.

Forked from New Wiki & Documentation #14

Hey, how is the progress going?How is the progress going?

Unfortunately there has been no progress made with all progress currently focused on adding improved console support with the launch of PlayStation for Roblox.

I’ve created an GitHub issue on your behalf for tracking purposes. You may subscribe to the issue to get updates on progress of your feature request.

Hi there,
This looks awesome! I saw you showed it works on most devices, I just want to ask does it work on Xbox and PS5?

The GPL license requires that all larger works using the work be under the same license, so is this system only meant for uncopylocked / open-source games?

In it’s current state console support for PlayStation isn’t properly implemented but functional.

We have a draft PR which completely changes how we handle console platforms and redesigns console specific elements like 10 foot interface and the control hints UI.

In the next release of Satchel you should see an much improved console experience.

2 Likes

Looking at the license now I do see the concerns of license. I will look into changing it soon but for now I won’t enforce that larger works but go under the same license, only redistribution will need to be under the same license.

1 Like

Satchel is Changing Licenses

Satchel will now use the Mozilla Public License 2.0 for all new releases and versions. With this change Satchel will no longer require larger works to be open-sourced under the same license it uses.

Permissions of this weak copyleft license are conditioned on making available source code of licensed files and modifications of those files under the same license (or in certain cases, one of the GNU licenses). Copyright and license notices must be preserved. Contributors provide an express grant of patent rights. However, a larger work using the licensed work may be distributed under different terms and without source code for files added in the larger work.

We will not enforce the old license, GNU General Public License v3.0, for Satchel versions using the older license. This will only apply for use in larger works. Old Satchel versions using GPLv3 may be enforced if you are to redistribute a closed source version of Satchel or with a different license.

No action is required, and this change is automatic. You do not need to change anything about your Satchel distribution.

Forked from Satchel is Changing Licenses #17
3 Likes

I believe

function BackpackScript:GetStateChangedEvent(): RBXScriptSignal
	return Backpack.StateChanged
end

is supposed to be

function BackpackScript:GetStateChangedEvent(): RBXScriptSignal
	return BackpackScript.StateChanged
end