Save your player data with ProfileService! (DataStore Module)

Tbh i don’t even know what more he could add to his module

1 Like

Regardless of what you think he can add or do, coding improves over time. You can always improve your code and you should. No one should just stop and say “This is the best ggwp nothing is better.” I mean we all know that someone with 30 years of coding experience, they are still working to improve code. I just said that so you can understand that coding is not a you reached a certain point you are good, its a constant skill you must work on.

1 Like

This is 15 times more difficult than using normal roblox datastores

I would use SDM for new projects, ProfileService doesn’t look like it’s being maintained anymore (no updates for the last 3 years), and SDM is easier to use + better.

1 Like

Ah, thanks! I will check it out.

Also, what are your thoughts on Easy Datastore?

Datastore API is stable. As long as they don’t change that, this module should keep working.

You can always modify the code yourself if you notice issues.

Btw, the module works even with the deferred signal mode.

I don’t think it’ll break anytime soon, and if it does someone will probably add on this post.

He could use MemoryStoreService instead of DataStoreService for session locking to improve latency.

To improve latency , what do you mean ? MemoryStore are faster than DataStore ?

Yes, exactly.

There is only slightly more things to write, but this module includes session locking. Something that should exist in the Built-in DatastoreService but isn’t.

I don’t recall your name being mentioned in my comment

Heh yeah in all honesty I’d rather wait for Roblox to implement native session locking than having to tinker with ProfileService any more than I have to because that’s all it does - provide session locking and periodic saving. It’s been almost 4 years… But maybe! Just maybe Roblox can do it!

3 Likes

Speaking of session locking and ProfileService, I have been having quite an issue with ProfileService’s session locking, as seen in this post:
ProfileService Fails to Load for Small Percentage of My Players - Help and Feedback / Scripting Support - Developer Forum | Roblox

It seems like when a player gets disconnected, their profile gets “stuck” in the dead session, and when they join a new session, it says their profile is already loaded in that new session… Which makes no sense.

Using “Steal” does not appear to really fix this either.

You are releasing the profile when the player is leaving right?

Yes. If I didn’t, this glitch would happen infinitely more frequently.

I’m having issues similar to this when using profile service to handle products purchases.

Issue with ProfileService dev products handling

@loleris do you have ideas on how to fix the error “receipt… alr being processed”?

Regarding this, the API for ProfileService does not mention anything about the error.

I made a youtube video about this concept hope you guys will enjoy How to Properly Save your data with Profile Service

How many Update requests per minute per player does the Profile service send?
Is it possible to cause Throttle errors?

How do you get all the profiles (keys) in a profile store? (if you have a statsProfileStore eg: userID = { Cash = 10, Exp = 100}, how to get all the userIDs in the statsProfileStore?)