Saving thousands of parts to datastores

Hi, I’m developing a game somewhat similar to Minecraft. I would like to be able to save what the player builds, but I know that data stores have a limit of something around 200,000 characters. If a player places down 10,000 blocks and I have to save the position, orientation, type of block etc… then I could quickly reach the limit which could cause data saving problems. I know that Islands allows you to place up to 100,000 blocks, so they must have a way to save large amounts of data. Do you have any ideas of how I would go about saving this much data? Maybe through multiple datastores? Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:!

1 Like

If you value storage usage and not efficiency, I’d recommend using Stravant’s BitBuffer Module. I’d first create a JSON string that stores some of the object’s properties, and then pass that through the module before giving it to the data-store.

Datastore limit increased to 4 Megabytes (or 4.000.000 characters).

Basically you want yo serialize parts, right?
This topic maybe helps you:

[Edit:] But also you need compression though, you can follow what @OptimisticSide said, or search for a compession library, or write yourself your compresser.

1 Like

Thank you so much for both of your replies! Both compression and serialization looks good, I’ll be sure to research both.